Pinion Seal on Prorock 60

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Hi Guys. I removed my pinion nut and yoke to change my pinion seal and it looks like Dynatrac has a metal baffle covering the seal area. It looks like I need to pop out the baffle to get to the seal. Does anyone out there have any good advice on getting the baffle out without damaging it?

Image.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Hi Guys. I removed my pinion nut and yoke to change my pinion seal and it looks like Dynatrac has a metal baffle covering the seal area. It looks like I need to pop out the baffle to get to the seal. Does anyone out there have any good advice on getting the baffle out without damaging it?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that 'baffle' is just part of the seal itself. Do you already have the new seal for comparison?

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that 'baffle' is just part of the seal itself. Do you already have the new seal for comparison?

Yes I contacted Steve at Dynatrac and he said to get a regular dana spicer seal for a 1986 Chevy K30 dana 60 axle. Was just the rubber seal. Talked to Cory there today and he is pretty sure it is a baffle and you pry it out. Was looking for advice from anyone on how they did it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure there is any saving it. I was always under the impression that you needed to replace it.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I just removed one of those on a Ford 9” a week ago... I had even less space than you beween the pinion and the seal... I couldnt get get leverage with a screwdriver so I used a small puller and reversed the arm in the opposite direction (so the claws face outward).. The seal popped right off.

Seal in place:
IMG_2717.jpg

Seal removed:
IMG_2719.jpg

The puller was a small version of this.. rotate the claws outward:
IMG_2785.JPG

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I just removed one of those on a Ford 9” a week ago... I had even less space than you beween the pinion and the seal... I couldnt get get leverage with a screwdriver so I used a small puller and reversed the arm in the opposite direction (so the claws face outward).. The seal popped right off.

Seal in place:
View attachment 341588

Seal removed:
View attachment 341589

View attachment 341590

Thanks Trailhunter! Will try that out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Seal in place:
View attachment 341588

Seal removed:
View attachment 341589

View attachment 341590

good call :thumb:

Top Bottom