JT cargo bed cargo net using Tacoma cargo hooks

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I bought my JT back in September, and the bed has been great to use. I’ve hauled plywood, a snow blower, a new bathroom vanity, a Craftsman shed kit, and all kids of other things. One thing that has been a pain to haul in my JT has been bagged items such as groceries. With only four hooks installed on the oem Jeep Trail Rail cargo management system there isn’t much room to hang bags on the supplied cargo tie downs. Once I lifted my Jeep 2.5” and out 37” tires on it made teaching over the side of the bed more difficult for me, and impossible for my wife. I have two child car seats in my back seat attached using Latch anchors so unfortunately it rules out under seat storage.

My fix for this was to ad some sort of cargo net to the bed similar to what’s in the back of my wife’s ‘18 Suburban. I bought a net on Amazon but it didn’t fit the oem Trail Rail tie downs well at all. The loops on the net would slide off easily with weight in the net. I read somewhere that current generation Tacoma cargo rail tie downs are similar in appearance to the JT Trail Rail, so I order up a set of the downs for a Tacoma that would be better suited to hanging something. I found a set of 4 generic hooks on Amazon for cheap. They fit right in the Jeep Trail cargo rails without any issues.

I wanted the net at the back of the bed so I simply removed the oem Trail Rail tie downs and installed the 4 new Tacoma cargo hooks. I reinstalled the oem tie downs closer to the middle and front of the bed to tie down cargo there if I ever need to. The net just hooks right into the 4 Tacoma cargo hooks.

It works great! What’s nice is it can be removed in seconds to haul larger cargo. Also gives me a very convenient place to store my ARB recovery kit and other items I lack for the trail.

Here’s some pics.

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

Fits under the oem soft tonneau cover without any rubbing.

IMG_4264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Brute

Hooked
Yup...that’s where I’d keep the kids, attached to bungee cords of course...and helmets (safety first)...

Top Bottom