2012 Rubicon 2DR Lift advice

REQENG

Hi there,

Posting for the first time and would like to get some advice on Brand / Options (source to buy from -I'm in Canada) for a great lift that would allow maintaining a great drivability in town or highways and allow me to use up 35in tires. Looks, drive is priority than some off-roading capabilities but not extreme stuff.
I'm told that a 2.5in would do as long as I don't go extreme off-roading (for 35in tires). I feel that 3.5in is a bit too much, too tall, a bit challenging to step up and down.
I understand that this topic never ends but based on some true positive experiences I would benefit a lot so I can make a choice.
I was told that EVO, Old Man Emu would be great choices. Any advice would be very appreciated.

BaddestCross

Hi there,

Posting for the first time and would like to get some advice on Brand / Options (source to buy from -I'm in Canada) for a great lift that would allow maintaining a great drivability in town or highways and allow me to use up 35in tires. Looks, drive is priority than some off-roading capabilities but not extreme stuff.
I'm told that a 2.5in would do as long as I don't go extreme off-roading (for 35in tires). I feel that 3.5in is a bit too much, too tall, a bit challenging to step up and down.
I understand that this topic never ends but based on some true positive experiences I would benefit a lot so I can make a choice.
I was told that EVO, Old Man Emu would be great choices. Any advice would be very appreciated.
I ran my 2 door on 35s with EVO 2" springs in the front and OME 2" in the rear (rating depending on weight you carry) with no issues.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Clutch

Caught the Bug
2-2.5” is good for 35s (but you may need to trim your fenders). I’d look at JKS and Synergy. If you don’t go with long shocks you can keep the stock driveshaft and control arms.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi there,

You can go extreme with 2.5 and 35’s and flat fenders. It just depends on how comfortable you get with wheeling. You can also shove 37’s under that height as well with some minor trimming.

A good compromise would even be the evo 3” kit paired with rancho shocks.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
2-2.5” is good for 35s (but you may need to trim your fenders). I’d look at JKS and Synergy. If you don’t go with long shocks you can keep the stock driveshaft and control arms.

Evo is good, FYI you’ll get an inch more on a 2 door. I’ve heard good things about Old Man Emu, but I have no experience.

rubiDave

Hi there,

I have the EVO 3inch enforcer kit paired with Rancho RS99900 shocks. I'm happy with it, but it may not be for you.

Like you, I have 2 door JK and the 3 inch springs give over 4 inches of lift. You will need new front and rear driveshafts and adjustable control arms, so it might be more expense than you want to incur and more lift than you want. On the bright side, 35s fit with no trimming.

I believe synergy makes 3 inch springs specific to 2 door JKs that aren't quite as tall as the EVO 3 inch springs. With the right bump stop size you'd still be able to run 35s and may be able to get away with stock driveshafts. Less than 3 inches you will need trimmed or flat fenders to run 35s.

20200219_150552.jpg 20200219_150417.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
What rubiDave has would do the trick. Here is my old one. This is 2” EVO front coils, and 2” rear spacers. The tires are 33”.

Attachments

• 30ED8B0E-674C-45CF-96AE-62D6B52A3626.jpeg
    30ED8B0E-674C-45CF-96AE-62D6B52A3626.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 47

Wethy

Like the others have said 2.5-3" is a good height. I will say YMMV on the driveshaft. Mine did. I had a 2.5" rubicon express lift and not long(and only 2 real wheeling trips) and the boot at the transfercase tore.

Also depending on what rims and backspacing you have you might be able to keep full fenders and not rub. I have been lucky that was the case for me.
Also heres a pic id my 2dr on 2.5" and 35s.

Where abouts are you in canada. Depending on your location i might be able the offer some suggestions. Only a few retailers up here sell EVO that i know of. In Ontario for instance theres only 2 dealers that i know of. IMG_20190929_175731_741.jpg LRM_EXPORT_68170707957087_20181005_130046734.jpeg

Clutch

Caught the Bug
The driveshaft life depends on the length of your shocks. If at full droop it reaches your exhaust it won’t last long. The 2” shock extensions that I have limit my droop enough to keep the driveshafts safe.

Wethy

The driveshaft life depends on the length of your shocks. If at full droop it reaches your exhaust it won’t last long. The 2” shock extensions that I have limit my droop enough to keep the driveshafts safe.
Agreed. The shocks were short enough that it kept the boot from the exhaust, but in my case it tore at the Rzeppa joint at the Tcase. Im sure the RE shocks were just long enough to bind the driveshaft at the Tcase and thats what caused it. But that was a good enough reason to upgrade instead of just replacing it with an OEM shaft. Lol

desertrunner

I too am running Evo 2" plush rides and OME med duty rear springs with stock trimmed fenders and running 37s. I have them paired with rancho 9000s and subjectively I think it rides very nice.
My lift is a pieced together franken lift but there are a few good 2dr 2-3" lifts that will suit you well. With 35s I wouldn't buy anything over 3" advertised since typically the 2dr ends up getting 1"+ more than advertised.
My Evo 2" gave me a hair over 3" lift in the front (didn't measure the rear but it sits pretty level) 20180625_152147.jpg 20180820_092734.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I too am running Evo 2" plush rides and OME med duty rear springs with stock trimmed fenders and running 37s. I have them paired with rancho 9000s and subjectively I think it rides very nice.
My lift is a pieced together franken lift but there are a few good 2dr 2-3" lifts that will suit you well. With 35s I wouldn't buy anything over 3" advertised since typically the 2dr ends up getting 1"+ more than advertised.
My Evo 2" gave me a hair over 3" lift in the front (didn't measure the rear but it sits pretty level) View attachment 341735 View attachment 341736

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Damn. That’s right. I forgot I used the OME rear springs on mine.

racer36

If you are unsure of what height you want, do a cheap spacer lift for awhile. My set up was supposed to be temporary until I bought springs but about a year and a half later i'm still on the spacers, 2" longer cheapo rough country probably now blown out shocks, and LCAs. 2" in front and 1" in rear. pictures show stock wheels with ~32" tires and others are 15x10s with 35s. Im still debating on coils because I want "long travel" vs standard coils but this really has worked out fine so far, and yes it gets wheeled and yes its my daily. lol IMG_1345.jpg IMG_1349.jpg IMG_1347.jpg IMG_1055.jpg EEEF7836-ADB6-4229-999B-258F538A3A31-Vehicle-5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom