Anyone drilled and tapped their own steering box?

Braxtonsag

I’m looking at adding a psc ram to my factory box but trying to avoid the cost and wait if sending my stock box out. Iv never had the steering box apart and don’t really know what to expect inside I kinda just want to make sure when I start pulling it apart, pieces aren’t going to go falling out of it.

This has been a long time coming but with psc being expensive as usual and WTO raising their prices recently, it’s something I’d like to try and tackle at home.

rockwell

I did, pretty strait forward. I had to make a bottoming tap to cut enough thread on the upper hole to feel that there was enough thread engagement. I would suggest a pilot 7/16 bit if your hardware store carries them, ensures an even hole. Also, once you get the fittings installed make sure (on the upper one) it doesn’t intrude into the port, I ran a drill bit through it. Clean out shavings good. At the end I just went with the PSC Big Bore box instead.
IMG_0854.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Braxtonsag

I did, pretty strait forward. I had to make a bottoming tap to cut enough thread on the upper hole to feel that there was enough thread engagement. I would suggest a pilot 7/16 bit if your hardware store carries them, ensures an even hole. Also, once you get the fittings installed make sure (on the upper one) it doesn’t intrude into the port, I ran a drill bit through it. Clean out shavings good. At the end I just went with the PSC Big Bore box instead.
View attachment 341796

When pulling it apart there isn’t really anything to worry about though as far as parts going flying out across the floor? I keep seeing people talking about ball bearings especially, don’t want those to go rolling away on the floor if they’re just loose in there

rockwell

I didn’t have to take it down enough to get to ball bearings. When I did Toyota ones years ago ball bearings were a pain in the ass. There are some YouTube videos out there, take a look and see if it’s something you are comfortable with. Biggest concern was the bearings towards the pitman arm. Make sure you don’t have a lot of crud on the exposed part of the sector shaft, it’s a snug fit to get it past the bearing.

Braxtonsag

I’m totally comfortable drilling and tapping but it’s one of those things Iv never done so just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a billion small pieces inside that had to be puzzled back together. If it’s just a matter of taking off a few bolts and pulling it apart that ain’t no thang at all. Trying to source some hoses and fittings now but not having any luck locally. Trying to avoid paying $130 for some psc hoses cause I know you can diy them much cheaper lol.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would be interested to see the process of you do. I have three or four steering boxes in my garage I would like to have ready for hydro.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bkac

Caught the Bug
I’ve done several of them over the years and never have had a failure. It’s pretty hard to mess up. I’ll try and dig up some photos. I use grease to keep the metal on the bit and tap while also using air to blow the metal back out while drilling and tapping. I have some boxes with 60k miles on them after tapping.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom