Cooper stt pro

Elroy231

Looking for opinions on Cooper stt pros. Found a guys with a set of 35s. Never mounted. Can get em for well under retail. I see alot of guys on here use or have used them. Wondering how they will do winter wheeling. What's the over all impression of the tire from you guys that use them?

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Looking for opinions on Cooper stt pros. Found a guys with a set of 35s. Never mounted. Can get em for well under retail. I see alot of guys on here use or have used them. Wondering how they will do winter wheeling. What's the over all impression of the tire from you guys that use them?

Overall impression for me is that they are a fantastic tire. They don't wear out quickly and do great on the rocks. As far as Winter Wheeling, are you talking deep snow or packed snow? Also, here's some links about these tires that may be helpful.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...rformance-2-Years-of-Testing-Out-on-the-Trail

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/29603-Cooper-Discoverer-STT-PRO-Above-the-Treeline

sipafz

Caught the Bug
First impressions from a guy that’s had them for two weeks, came from stock Goodyear road tires and logs mostly road miles as a daily driver:

Love how they look!

I was concerned about road noise, but they are pretty quiet, much quieter than I thought they would be on the road. You can hear them, but they don’t prevent normal conversation. Keep in mind that I have the hard top on at this time.

Three of them balanced out real easy with minimal weight. Two of them sucked with 20+ ounces of which one they gave up on one leaving it an ounce out. That being said, I mounted the worst tire on the front and did 80 on the freeway without any issues.

They seem to perform very well on wet pavement and pull great in virgin/loose snow. They slide around on packed snow and ice, but take that with a grain of salt since I’m comparing them to my old street tires.

Good Luck with your purchase!

They suck ass on ice and hard pack. I can pull out of my driveway put in gear and let out the clutch and not move until I grab 4 high. Like most mt’s, just not made for that. (Also we all know tjs suck in snow and have zero weight on rear axle) However they grip actual snow like a mountain goat. I’ve gone 45+ on snowy twisty trails like it was on rails.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I have loved mine to date. Have had 1 sidewall puncture but was small and patched easily and hasn’t been an issue for last 10k miles . Grip awesome on rocks, sand, and terrain out west .

Haven’t had them in much mud and they did suck up in Death Valley in ice and hard pack snow .

Hard as hell to mount on beadlocks compared to some other brands but that’s a once every 2 years kind of thing .

Overall happy

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nickbarkey6

Have really liked mine alot. Grip way better than my trail grapplers did in mud. I havent had them much on snow or ice yet. Mounted them on beadlocks and never balanced them and have no issues or vibrations. Run 75 on highway all the time

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They suck ass on ice and hard pack. I can pull out of my driveway put in gear and let out the clutch and not move until I grab 4 high. Like most mt’s, just not made for that. (Also we all know tjs suck in snow and have zero weight on rear axle) However they grip actual snow like a mountain goat. I’ve gone 45+ on snowy twisty trails like it was on rails.

I'd have to say this is pretty spot on ^^^^
No mud terrain is gonna do too well on ice and hard pack. In actual snow, they're pretty amazing.

There are a few shots of us in snow on this video.

Slimebones

I carelessly broke a front axle shaft in some snowpack while running BFG's. Then a friend pulled me out, without any real effort, running the STT's. That impressed and sold me on the spot. Have been running them ever since, and love them. Much better than the BFG's. Quieter on the highway too.

jdofmemi

I've been happy with mine, and have a couple of snow runs on them. They do waaaay better than the Goodyear MTRs that I had before.

Ice is ice, put chains on for ice, but snowpack and fresh snow they were outstanding.

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_114927-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191129_114927-800x600.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20191129_123917-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191129_123917-800x600.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 86
  • MVIMG_20191128_141204-800x600.jpg
    MVIMG_20191128_141204-800x600.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 86
I've been happy with mine, and have a couple of snow runs on them. They do waaaay better than the Goodyear MTRs that I had before.

Ice is ice, put chains on for ice, but snowpack and fresh snow they were outstanding.

Cool pics, but I disagree- try a blizzak or similar dedicated winter tire sometime on one of your cars, they’ll change your views on ice.
IMG_5121.jpg

jdofmemi

Cool pics, but I disagree- try a blizzak or similar dedicated winter tire sometime on one of your cars, they’ll change your views on ice.
View attachment 341863

I don't disagree with that, but good winter tires are very limited in size. I've had true winter tires on cars, when I lived where there was winter.

Duratrac are on the low end of true winter tires, IMO and they go to 35".
That's about as good as it gets for larger sizes.

It's hard to find a proper winter tire for ice even in a 33. Most of us don't want to look like a clown car in winter just to have good ice and snow tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't disagree with that, but good winter tires are very limited in size. I've had true winter tires on cars, when I lived where there was winter.

It's hard to find a proper winter tire for ice even in a 33. Most of us don't want to look like a clown car in winter just to have good ice and snow tires.

Up in my neck of the woods, lots of people stud their tires. Sounds like rice crispies on dry pavement but man do they work amazing on ice. :crazyeyes:

Yeah there’s not much on the market for large sizes. Kind of funny that my front wheel drive Jetta has better grip in winter than my 4x4.

Up in my neck of the woods, lots of people stud their tires. Sounds like rice crispies on dry pavement but man do they work amazing on ice. :crazyeyes:

Yeah I wish we could do that, they’re illegal to use on roads here. Wouldn’t want to damage the potholes [emoji849]

Top Bottom