Hydroassist question

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I'm going the redneck ram route. Just curious because I've seen setups with the reservior and cooler. Is that required or what setup would require going that route? I'm currently on 37s and doubt I'll ever go higher than that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ddays

Hooked
So I'm going the redneck ram route. Just curious because I've seen setups with the reservior and cooler. Is that required or what setup would require going that route? I'm currently on 37s and doubt I'll ever go higher than that.

Not sure about the reservoir but the cooler can't hurt. I put one in my system because in really high temps (over 105*) mine would whine quite a bit. Never had it happen afterwards though. Maybe someone that's done this will chime but if not, I'd ask Bubba - he has done this route many a times.

Edit: I'm running the PSC system

Last edited:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have been running my red neck ram with everything else stock for 2 years in Arizona with no issues at all on a prorock 60 and 40s. No cooler, stock reservoir and oem pump that was modified by west Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Well I thought the main difference was a filter in the psc one to prevent any damage to the pump. Seems like that isn't a common issue since most people don't run one and have no issues. Im guessing it's just insurance in the event something might happen.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I've got the PSC Big Bore kit. Cooler, reservoir, the whole hog and it works well. I had the original pump go out and they sent me a new one, works perfect. I saw someone was talking about a whine. My understanding is that is from a loose fitting. It can be loose enough to suck air under heavy load but not leak fluid. I had it, went through and tightened everything and no whine.

So... I'm a fan of the larger reservoir and cooler, more volume and cooler is better for this setup.

IMO

fiend

Caught the Bug
The power steering system is a hydraulic system. Any hydraulic system benefits from staying cool. A cooler helps with that. They are cheap. Why not have one?

Ddays

Hooked
I've got the PSC Big Bore kit. Cooler, reservoir, the whole hog and it works well. I had the original pump go out and they sent me a new one, works perfect. I saw someone was talking about a whine. My understanding is that is from a loose fitting. It can be loose enough to suck air under heavy load but not leak fluid. I had it, went through and tightened everything and no whine.

So... I'm a fan of the larger reservoir and cooler, more volume and cooler is better for this setup.

IMO

Mine started to whine one day in Moab years ago. It was July and ended up close to 110*. On the trail it whined in the low speed stuff until I got back on the highway and it cooled down and quit. It never did it afterwards but then again I never wheeled in 110* weather after that. I did add a cooler I bought from Highoctane so there's that too.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I think I'm going to go cooler for piece of mind and you're right, it's cheap. What's the difference with AN 6 or 8,which should I get? Any kits yall recommend or is psc the way to go?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I think I'm going to go cooler for piece of mind and you're right, it's cheap. What's the difference with AN 6 or 8,which should I get? Any kits yall recommend or is psc the way to go?

I have a Derale single pass heat sink type. You can see that kind and other options on PSC’s website. It has worked fine for me. The fin or stack types probably work just as well, but are more limited in mounting options.

Different size, 6 is roughly 3/8” 8 is 1/2”. Bigger = more flow / holds more fluid. Depends on the rest of your system no point in using different sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Different size, 6 is roughly 3/8” 8 is 1/2”. Bigger = more flow / holds more fluid. Depends on the rest of your system no point in using different sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
So stock is 6 right? That's what I should go with?

Top Bottom