Metalcloak Gamechanger Insights

Rag Beaver

Been doing a lot of looking at different suspension systems for a few months now. I will be able to finally throw a lift on my JKU and kick phase 1 of this build off soon. In my searching for lift kit enlightenment the Metalcloak kits seemed to stand out. I like the sound of the Duroflex joints they use and the fact they are putting them at both ends of the control arms (Though the uppers are still limited by the factory bushings in the axle housing I assume). They claim to offer a lot of flex and appear to have pretty solid reviews.

I planned on getting the 2.5" and a set of Falcon shocks to pair with it along with 33's or maybe 35's. My Jeep is my dd so I'm trying to not go to crazy, just something low maintenance with solid road manners but can still be an absolute blast on trails and in rocks.

What are your guys' experience or thoughts on the Metalcloak kits?

WJCO

Meme King
Been doing a lot of looking at different suspension systems for a few months now....

Sounds like you need to do more looking.

I will be able to finally throw a lift on my JKU and kick phase 1 of this build off soon. In my searching for lift kit enlightenment the Metalcloak kits seemed to stand out. I like the sound of the Duroflex joints they use and the fact they are putting them at both ends of the control arms (Though the uppers are still limited by the factory bushings in the axle housing I assume). They claim to offer a lot of flex and appear to have pretty solid reviews.

I planned on getting the 2.5" and a set of Falcon shocks to pair with it along with 33's or maybe 35's. My Jeep is my dd so I'm trying to not go to crazy, just something low maintenance with solid road manners but can still be an absolute blast on trails and in rocks.

Chipotle is a gamechanger for your underwear too. Doesn't mean it's a good thing .

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Mid arms? I forgot about that marketing ploy.

In any event, save yourself a ton of money and headaches and start looking in a completely different direction. If all you want to do is run 33’s, why waste your time with a lift at all? If you want 35’s, you would be perfectly fine getting something like the Rancho 2” spring lift with RS5000’s or even the 9000’s if you want a little shock adjustability.

Spending thousands of dollars to run 35’s is completely unnecessary and borders on idiotic.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Synergy 8041-20 is a 2” lift that you pair with Fox shocks and rides great. Cost about $1800, is made in the USA, and rides pretty great. Sure there are cheaper options, but this is one that we find has a really great ride that lasts.

The Rancho lifts are great too. Either way you can hit us up any time at the shop and we can help you make some decisions with your lift.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Been doing a lot of looking at different suspension systems for a few months now. I will be able to finally throw a lift on my JKU and kick phase 1 of this build off soon. In my searching for lift kit enlightenment the Metalcloak kits seemed to stand out. I like the sound of the Duroflex joints they use and the fact they are putting them at both ends of the control arms (Though the uppers are still limited by the factory bushings in the axle housing I assume). They claim to offer a lot of flex and appear to have pretty solid reviews.

I too initially found Metalcloak's marketing stellar and was looking at their lifts and skins. But after some additional research, I feel like a lot of the marketing is a ploy. From the various forum threads I've read Metalcloak doesn't appear to perform any better than any other quality lift. And a lot of those other quality lifts are cheaper.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that it sounds like you have somewhat of a budget to work with, I might recommend Synergy as well especially being that they now use Dual Durometer Bushings on their components. In my opinion, they are a BETTER solution. Also, I would steer clear of anything made by TeraFlex if only because of their record of making substandard products. There are several threads that highlight that here on the forum.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Synergy 8041-20 is a 2” lift that you pair with Fox shocks and rides great. Cost about $1800, is made in the USA, and rides pretty great. Sure there are cheaper options, but this is one that we find has a really great ride that lasts.

The Rancho lifts are great too. Either way you can hit us up any time at the shop and we can help you make some decisions with your lift.

Doesn’t that kit use cam bolts? Even if it doesn’t, IMO $1800 is insane for 2” to run 35’s. He’d be better off getting a more complete 3” kit for a little more money.

Rag Beaver

Being that it sounds like you have somewhat of a budget to work with, I might recommend Synergy as well especially being that they now use Dual Durometer Bushings on their components. In my opinion, they are a BETTER solution. Also, I would steer clear of anything made by TeraFlex if only because of their record of making substandard products. There are several threads that highlight that here on the forum.

Thanks for the response, I am looking very heavily into Synergy as well. The similarities in the durometer and duroflex bushing are what prompted me to see what results people were having MC.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the response, I am looking very heavily into Synergy as well. The similarities in the durometer and duroflex bushing are what prompted me to see what results people were having MC.

MetalCloak is fantastic at marketing, really, one of the best out there and they've been good about building a strong fan base that are eager to sing praises for them. Overall, the duroflex joints work well enough but can and will still need servicing in spite of what is said and that isn't exactly an easy job. Also, they can still blow and I can post pics to prove it. I suppose the real question that needs to be asked is, how are you planning to use your Jeep? I assume you're looking into these options because of how they're billed as being maintenance free? No shame in it but is it safe to assume that you spend most of your time on pavement?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
If you’re going to run 33’s then why not get a spacer lift (budget boost) and some wheel spacers? That can be done for about $500 and you’ll keep your stock ride for the most part. 35’s will require wider wheels so keep that in mind.

Rag Beaver

MetalCloak is fantastic at marketing, really, one of the best out there and they've been good about building a strong fan base that are eager to sing praises for them. Overall, the duroflex joints work well enough but can and will still need servicing in spite of what is said and that isn't exactly an easy job. Also, they can still blow and I can post pics to prove it. I suppose the real question that needs to be asked is, how are you planning to use your Jeep? I assume you're looking into these options because of how they're billed as being maintenance free? No shame in it but is it safe to assume that you spend most of your time on pavement?

Most of my driving is 50/50 non-maintenance gravel and pavement. I will say I did like the idea of their, and Synergy's, low maintenance claim. Do you think the MC joints have improved with the addition of kevlar?

Rag Beaver

If you’re going to run 33’s then why not get a spacer lift (budget boost) and some wheel spacers? That can be done for about $500 and you’ll keep your stock ride for the most part. 35’s will require wider wheels so keep that in mind.

I considered it, but I decided I'd rather go full in so I can adjust axle centering and caster, as minute of a change 2.5" makes. plus this way I can easily jump up to those larger tire sizes if and when I get there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most of my driving is 50/50 non-maintenance gravel and pavement. I will say I did like the idea of their, and Synergy's, low maintenance claim. Do you think the MC joints have improved with the addition of kevlar?

Honestly, being that you're just wanting to run 33s or maybe 35's at most, I might recommend that you just install a budget boost or 2" lift and keep your factory control arms. There really is nothing out there that's gonna stay quite and be 100% maintenance free than a good ol' set of clevite bonded rubber bushings. They aren't "low" maintenance, they're ZERO maintenance.

WJCO

Meme King
I considered it, but I decided I'd rather go full in so I can adjust axle centering and caster, as minute of a change 2.5" makes. plus this way I can easily jump up to those larger tire sizes if and when I get there.

On our JK, we put 33s on it and trimmed the fenders. No issues at all and didn't have to lift it.

DSC04112.jpg

Currently we're now running 35s with the EVO leveling kit.

DSC04313.jpg

We haven't touched the control arms nor track bar.

I apologize for all the pink shit in the photos.

Top Bottom