Light Beadlocks?

Catfathers

Hey all, my current non beadlock wheels weigh 42lbs (mfg advertised weight). I didn’t pay much attention to the wheel weight when I bought them but now that I’m at 37s the biggest thing deterring me from beadlocks was more weight. I can justify it if I’m bringing wheel weight down AND getting a beadlock!

I’ve seen Raceline wheels advertised as 35lbs with hardware. Does anyone know of any that are less? I’ve emailed s bunch of manufacturers to get weights and I’ll report back if they respond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfathers

Well then, my decision just got a lot easier. Beadlocks here I come

While I hav who I guys here, with 37/12.5/17 STTs and 3” of life, what BS/Offset should I shoot for?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well then, my decision just got a lot easier. Beadlocks here I come

While I hav who I guys here, with 37/12.5/17 STTs and 3” of life, what BS/Offset should I shoot for?

Depends on if it matters to you how much your tires stick out past the fenders. 3.5" of back spacing is the most common size but they will get your tires sticking out the most. 4.5" or more will do a much better job of keeping your tires tucked underneath and help keep your ball joints and unit bearings lasting longer but they are harder to find.

PokerStogey

Just to give you an idea of the weight... my 37x12.50 STT Pros on Machetes came in at 125#. My stock Rubi wheels with 315 STT Pros were 88#

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Catfathers

Depends on if it matters to you how much your tires stick out past the fenders. 3.5" of back spacing is the most common size but they will get your tires sticking out the most. 4.5" or more will do a much better job of keeping your tires tucked underneath and help keep your ball joints and unit bearings lasting longer but they are harder to find.

Okay, taking the wear and tear if ball joints and unit bearings out of it, isn’t that extra width a way to be able to be safer in off camber scenarios? Or is that incorrect? I remember a video you did about scrub radius, would it adversely affect that?

And while I have you here in particular thanks for the videos man. Huge part of my reason to pull the trigger in getting a Jeep, modding, and wheeling it... actually maybe I should be cursing you

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, taking the wear and tear if ball joints and unit bearings out of it, isn’t that extra width a way to be able to be safer in off camber scenarios? Or is that incorrect? I remember a video you did about scrub radius, would it adversely affect that?

And while I have you here in particular thanks for the videos man. Huge part of my reason to pull the trigger in getting a Jeep, modding, and wheeling it... actually maybe I should be cursing you

LOL - glad to hear you've been liking our videos and that we've been able to help you out. :crazyeyes:

Regarding a wider stance, yes, it will help offer more stability in offer camber situations but it will adversely affect your scrub radius. It's all a give and take.

JKbrick

LOL - glad to hear you've been liking our videos and that we've been able to help you out. :crazyeyes:

Regarding a wider stance, yes, it will help offer more stability in offer camber situations but it will adversely affect your scrub radius. It's all a give and take.

Give the parts store your money and take your parts home

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Noble Woodsman

More unsprung weight isn’t necessarily a bad thing

This depends on what you're optimizing for. Most SUVs and cars target an unsprung weight of around 15% of the curb weight for best on road handling (a stock jku is closer to 20%). On the other hand, if you want a lower center of gravity for stability on the trail, higher unsprung weight is probably better.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This depends on what you're optimizing for. Most SUVs and cars target an unsprung weight of around 15% of the curb weight for best on road handling (a stock jku is closer to 20%). On the other hand, if you want a lower center of gravity for stability on the trail, higher unsprung weight is probably better.

Do you have to ruin every conversation with your engineering bullshit?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

I would imagine most people here are trying to optimize their off-road capability’s while still having it drive great down the road. I’ll take unsprung weight all day, my Jeep drives awesome down the highway.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Do you have to ruin every conversation with your disrespect?

Nobody on this forum gives a single fuck about the unsprung weight of a standard car or SUV. You feel the need to go into the engineer bullshit that nobody asked about to make yourself feel better.

Put this in your engineers calculator.

IMG_9315.JPG

Top Bottom