Should I go J8 brake booster or regular?

jorgelrod

Hooked
So I did the Dynatrac ProGrips, jeep is braking super good, just one issue. Before I upgraded and changed the brakes and my braking was in the dump, I had to kung fu brake and when the pedal was all the way to the bottom I would hear the whistle that happens to the guy on this video.

https://youtu.be/R_FosFEjAMY

After the upgrade it only happens if I push the pedal down to the very end.
Reading about it, it seems that I will need to eventually need to replace the brake booster as it is a vacvum leak that causes that whistle sound. The question is, if I have to replace it, is it better to do the J8 kit or just the regular kit? I know the Progrips kick ass with the regular one, but for the minimal price difference I was just wondering about it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you make sure to have your brakes power bled using a scan tool? You're dealership can do this for you, basically, they use the ESP system to bleed your brakes and you will find that pedal feel is better afterward.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Did you make sure to have your brakes power bled using a scan tool? You're dealership can do this for you, basically, they use the ESP system to bleed your brakes and you will find that pedal feel is better afterward.

I'll do that Eddie, thx!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Definitely do what Eddie said first to make sure it’s properly bled. If it’s got to be replaced, I’d go ahead and bump it up just incase you move up to 40s, you’ll be ready!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I’ve contemplating the same question for different reasons. I replaced my booster not long ago when I had the progrips and 40 on my beefed 44s but now that I’m on 60s with the much bigger brakes I have a squishy pedal and thinking maybe the J8 booster is what I need for more fluid pressure.

Nickbarkey6

I had squishy pedal bad after UD60 swap, put the J8 booster on last week and made a huge difference. Actually have a brake pedal again

ADA OZ

I know this thread is a little old, but I just installed the J8 B/MC. My booster didn’t have an adjustable push rod like the stock one did. Pedal travel is really long now.

Brakes work well, the system was bled, just the long travel.

Anyone remember if your booster had the adjustable push rod?

Top Bottom