Cold's 2020 JLU Diesel build

Cold Gas

So I put my order in for a 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel last week. So now I guess its time to start seriously thinking about what to do with it when it gets here. I want to have a Jeep I can drive to anywhere, go wheeling, and drive it back home. Never got that with my JK as I never liked the 3.8L motor and considered it to be useless on the highway with bigger tires on it. It was fine in 4L / off-road so that's where it spent all its time. Probably why my 2011 only has 7K miles on it to this day. I would like to see a lot more use out of the new Jeep. It won't be a daily driver, well maybe if I like the way it drives in the end, it could be I suppose.

So guess now a bunch decisions and not sure what I want exactly. But I do want to do: 40" or 42" tires, coilover suspension, axel swaps, as the major things. The coilover thing is probably the most daunting one to me, as it seems like set up / tuning is the most critical thing and everybody has something bad to say about pretty much every set up out there. So as I keep reading and trying to educate myself some more, I would love to hear any suggestions / comments/ user experiences with different companies.

Thanks

Cold Gas

Was your 3.8 not geared properly? Congrats on the diesel, they are interesting

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes I have 5.38 gears in JKU ands its on 41.5" tires currently. I like the height but she is a dog on the highway. Turn off the OD and can run highway around 4K rpm. But its loud, noisy, and wont go up hills very well. Its why I am excited about the diesel vs a motor swap.

Cold Gas

Soooo. I was trying to list the current Jeep for sale here ….. but won't let me post. Ay idea why? No biggie I guess but be nice to make some space.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Soooo. I was trying to list the current Jeep for sale here ….. but won't let me post. Ay idea why? No biggie I guess but be nice to make some space.

Probably because you have 5.38’s and 42’s on stock axles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Cold Gas

Probably because you have 5.38’s and 42’s on stock axles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Nope sure don't but the same gear ratio in any axel will give the same result so I fail to see how its relevant anyways but thanks for your well thought out and valuable insight.

Top Bottom