2014 Jk won’t start

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Drove once this morning, got home. Went back out about 1/2 hour later. It will start and run for maybe 3 seconds then dies. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Guess it could be a cam/crank sensor as well. Engine fires, doesn't get a running reading and stops sending spark to the coils. It really needs to be hooked up to a scanner to see what's going on when it fires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Usually cam/crank sensor failure will stop it from starting not from staying running. Not 100% familiar with the 3.6 but that has been my experience with other engines

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Does it start then turn off. Or does it start then sputter itself out.

If it’s shutting itself off it’s security.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Does it start then turn off. Or does it start then sputter itself out.

If it’s shutting itself off it’s security.

This

There’s a little red light with no label on the right side of the dash, above the temp gauge, that’s for your security system. Is that coming on before it shuts down? I don’t think you can even tell there’s a light there unless it’s on.

Noble Woodsman

Usually cam/crank sensor failure will stop it from starting not from staying running. Not 100% familiar with the 3.6 but that has been my experience with other engines

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The crankshaft position sensor (i think that's the one - it's on the bell housing) will shut down a running engine when the sensor fails, because the computer can't figure out the timing. This usually happens when the sensor is warmed up, and can be tricky to reproduce. If the engine starts and runs after sitting overnight, it could be this sensor. Otherwise, if you can reproduce the 3 second shut down on a cold engine, I agree that it's probably the key fob or security. I would try your second key if you have one or replace the key fob battery.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Without knowing what codes you have it sounds like an immobilizer (key/security) issue to me. This is just pure speculation that without a code to help point you in the right direction

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Like everyone else said. If you see a blinking red light above your temp gauge. It’s the security system and will have to use your spare or buy a new key. Mine was so worn it wasn’t reading it anymore and would shut it off right after turning it on every time.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
The little red light did come on, I don’t have a key fob just a regular ole key. Disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes, reconnected and it started fine, been good ever since.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom