Moab Trip Questions

dhughes16

Good morning everyone,

My wife and I are moving from GA to WA and we’re currently in CO. This week we’re going to the Grand Canyon and we want to go to Moab afterwards.

My questions are:

- Is it even worth going to Moab this time of year?

- Is there anything I could enjoy in my JLU on 35’s (obviously not trying to do anything crazy, just more sightseeing type stuff)?

- If it is worth going this time of year and we wanted to do some more challenging trails, are the Jeep tours worth it or are they a rip off?

Thanks for any answers and Info y’all can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can do 90% of the trails in a JLU on 35s. Get the Charles Wells book. It lists probably 100 or more trails and ranks them by difficulty.

Moab in February is a crapshoot weatherwise. It could be cold and rainy, possibly with snow. Or it could be nice and clear (but probably still chilly).

In lieu of a tour, consider hiring a private guide. That will enable you to do trails you and your Jeep are capable of, rather than the least common denominator trails for the group.

Have fun. Moab is great!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J&k_Overland

Moab is always worth it. 35s will work great in Moab. Get a trail guide book and most likely you will run across some one else running the trail as well. Enjoy the drive up from the Grand Canyon as well it’s amazing.

dhughes16

Awesome! Thanks for the info everyone! I’ll post pics of the trip the end of the week!

Wethy

I bought the charles wells book before i went but if you cant get it and are staying in a hotel. check the brochure stands in the lobby, as they had a few brochures/pamphlets that had some trail maps. One i picked up had a map of hells revenge and fins N things in it. Plus they are usually free to take. Definitely cant hurt to check those out

bhaner

I did a ton of trails in moab in a TJ rubicon on 35's.

If you are by yourself trails like Fins and Things and Hells Revenge are fun.

Even this time of year there will be others on the trail if you get into trouble.

dhughes16

I did a ton of trails in moab in a TJ rubicon on 35's.

If you are by yourself trails like Fins and Things and Hells Revenge are fun.

Even this time of year there will be others on the trail if you get into trouble.

Awesome! We just finished at the Grand Canyon today. About to head up to Moab tonight. We have all day tomorrow then probably a half a day Friday.

Aside from these two, any other classics I could handle? Is “Top if the World” doable in my situation or is that a stretch?

I’m going to try and get ahold of the book but we’ve been driving so much I haven’t had the chance.

bhaner

Awesome! We just finished at the Grand Canyon today. About to head up to Moab tonight. We have all day tomorrow then probably a half a day Friday.

Aside from these two, any other classics I could handle? Is “Top if the World” doable in my situation or is that a stretch?

I’m going to try and get ahold of the book but we’ve been driving so much I haven’t had the chance.

I haven't been on "top of the world" so not sure what it is like.

The two I listed above were the only easy ones our group did. I know there are a ton of scenic trails that are easier. The book would be a good idea.

fiend

Caught the Bug

Yes you can do Top of the World with your set up. As I recall there are drive arounds on the one or two most difficult sections, which really aren’t very difficult anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Braxtonsag

Top of the world gets harder as the years go by but it’s a cake walk. The ledges up toward the top we’re getting rough but I haven’t been in a few years. Nothing 35s can’t handle though

When are you going to be there ? I’ll be there this Saturday and Sunday (29th-1st)

Feel free to reach out and join us if you’re going to be around.

dhughes16

When are you going to be there ? I’ll be there this Saturday and Sunday (29th-1st)

Feel free to reach out and join us if you’re going to be around.

Damn, we’re leaving Friday afternoon/night!

Would’ve been nice to do a run with your group though!

dhughes16

Well, I earned my Fins and Things and Hell’s Revenge Badges today! You guys did not let me down with your suggestions! We had so much fun. It was my wife’s first 4x4 adventure and now she’s hooked on Jeeps to the point where she said “We really need to put more money into this Jeep...” which I am now constantly reminding her about already.

I was pretty surprised how well the JLU sport did with no mods other than a 3.5” Rancho lift and 35’s. I know they’re not that hard of trails but I didn’t use any bypasses on fins and things and made it through a lot of Hell’s Revenge (even stopped to help recover someone’s Toyota).

Overall excellent day and my wife is already planning for upgrades and a trip back. Hopefully next time it will be with a group!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Well, I earned my Fins and Things and Hell’s Revenge Badges today! You guys did not let me down with your suggestions! We had so much fun. It was my wife’s first 4x4 adventure and now she’s hooked on Jeeps to the point where she said “We really need to put more money into this Jeep...” which I am now constantly reminding her about already.

I was pretty surprised how well the JLU sport did with no mods other than a 3.5” Rancho lift and 35’s. I know they’re not that hard of trails but I didn’t use any bypasses on fins and things and made it through a lot of Hell’s Revenge (even stopped to help recover someone’s Toyota).

Overall excellent day and my wife is already planning for upgrades and a trip back. Hopefully next time it will be with a group!

That’s awesome! I can’t wait to make it out there this summer!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

J&k_Overland

I was pretty surprised how well the JLU sport did with no mods other than a 3.5” Rancho lift and 35’s. I know they’re not that hard of trails

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE[/QUOTE]

Don’t underrate Fins and Things it’s bested my WJ twice

Top Bottom