JL spare tire carrier

P&PJeep

I just purchased my first jeep therefore new to the jeep world. I would appreciate you thoughts on the Smittybilt HD Pivot Tire Carrier, pn# 7743 for 35 inch tires.

Sent from my SM-G930P using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I just purchased my first jeep therefore new to the jeep world. I would appreciate you thoughts on the Smittybilt HD Pivot Tire Carrier, pn# 7743 for 35 inch tires.

Welcome and congrats on the new Jeep. I've never associated 'Smittybilt' and 'HD' together. So there's that.

Angry Aussie

Congrats on the new rig! I’d stay away from anything Smittybilt! Their products are weak and flimsy. I had their sliders or step sides for a little bit and they were really easy to bend and dent. So I wouldn’t trust their tire carrier at all!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

CalSgt

Hooked
I went with the EVO hinge carrier, it has been good dealing with the weight of a 37" and some decent wheeling so far. Dependent on the weight of your tire & wheel set up, and what you intend to do with your jeep you may be able to just use a raised spacer. I used the Smitty spacer until I was able to get the EVO carrier & it held up for a few minor wheeling trips.

Only thing I didn't like with the EVO unit is the brake light mount. It uses the tiny little screws that hold the back up camera in & needs to be removed before the tire can be removed. I ended up just unhooking my 3rd brake light and leaving it off.

jdofmemi

I went with the EVO hinge carrier, it has been good dealing with the weight of a 37" and some decent wheeling so far. Dependent on the weight of your tire & wheel set up, and what you intend to do with your jeep you may be able to just use a raised spacer. I used the Smitty spacer until I was able to get the EVO carrier & it held up for a few minor wheeling trips.

Only thing I didn't like with the EVO unit is the brake light mount. It uses the tiny little screws that hold the back up camera in & needs to be removed before the tire can be removed. I ended up just unhooking my 3rd brake light and leaving it off.

I mounted the third brake light behind the wheel on the carrier. It is visible between the wheel spokes and don't have to come off to remove the spare.

I also cut the "snout" off the stock carrier and fit it over the camera to protect it. When you trim it right, it looks factory.

Those two changes made the EVO carrier a star.

See the details here. This page has the brake light, the next page has the cover. https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/56685-The-rise-of-Olaf-The-JL/page6

CalSgt

Hooked
I mounted the third brake light behind the wheel on the carrier. It is visible between the wheel spokes and don't have to come off to remove the spare.

I also cut the "snout" off the stock carrier and fit it over the camera to protect it. When you trim it right, it looks factory.

Those two changes made the EVO carrier a star.

See the details here. This page has the brake light, the next page has the cover. https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/56685-The-rise-of-Olaf-The-JL/page6

I remember reading that thread... I was thinking of doing exactly the same but haven't gotten around to it. The one day I was mocking things up I noticed the light doesn't line up with my wheel holes unless its mounted a specific way, then I got lazy & never did it. I've also been looking at those ghetto fabulous LED disks that you mount behind the wheel

Top Bottom