VIDEO : MALL CRAWLIN ARIZONA - a Blast from the Past with MOBY & EVO1

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are a ton of wheeling trips that Cindy and I do every year and for a myriad of reasons, we never get around to making them into a video. Some, we just don’t bother filming, others end up getting sidelined by bigger and better projects but every now and then, we stumble across an old photo or get talking to a friend about a specific trip and that gets us wondering, why didn’t we ever make a video out of it? Well, it took some deep digging through the archives to make this possible but today, you’re gonna get see one of those trips - a weekend trip we did about 10 years ago, out in Arizona and with our good friends Mel and Lisa from EVO. I should note that this was way back before anyone was thinking about a Jeep JL Wrangler, let alone a JT Gladiator and back when JK Wranglers were still all the rage. In fact, at the time, Moby was still rockin a 3.8L V6 and a 6-speed manual transmission and EVO1 was still a glorified orange Sahara. Also, while coilovers are pretty common place today, there was a time when seeing them on a daily driven Wrangler was still kind of a new idea. It was guys like Mel who helped to change all that and through the kind of extensive testing you'll get to see on this video. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20200302175906-0b0e6251-me.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Great trip back to the past! It was fun seeing Moby and EVO back in the day. There were some really tight squeezes on that run!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

boardsurfer

EVO1 started life as a Sahara?? That makes it so much better! It's a little odd seeing Mel drive so cautiously.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking fwd to watching this later!

Hope you enjoy it :yup:

LOL Mels kids! Cool video :thumb:

:cheesy: I know! That's how you know this was filmed a long time ago. :crazyeyes:

Cool to see that blast from the past.

Thank you. Better to get it up late than never. :cool:

Great trip back to the past! It was fun seeing Moby and EVO back in the day. There were some really tight squeezes on that run!

The wheeling out there is the real deal. Big rocks and super tight obstacles. Some are down right scary. If you look close, this was filmed soon after Mel installed a DTD on EVO1 and Moby was still running the original coilovers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome look back! Cool seeing Moby before his grown up years!

What's funny is that was probably Moby at about his biggest physical size. He's since slimmed down a bit but got better suspension and of course, a bigger power plant :)

EVO1 started life as a Sahara?? That makes it so much better! It's a little odd seeing Mel drive so cautiously.

I was thinking the same thing lol

LOL - yeah, go figure. At the time of this video, he was still running a 3.8L. I think he was driving extra cautious because he didn't want to jack up his new fenders. Oh how times have changed :crazyeyes:

wjtstudios

Hooked
The wheeling out there is the real deal. Big rocks and super tight obstacles. Some are down right scary. If you look close, this was filmed soon after Mel installed a DTD on EVO1 and Moby was still running the original coilovers.

I saw that. I didn’t realize that the DTD went that far back. Were Moby’s coil overs bolt on or weld on? They look different than the bolt on kits today.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
So Awesome! It was neat to see Mel's kids so little as well as EVO1 and Moby in tehir early stages. Very cool.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw that. I didn’t realize that the DTD went that far back. Were Moby’s coil overs bolt on or weld on? They look different than the bolt on kits today.

Moby had the original weld in coilovers that EVO was making. Back then, they were still using 14" coilovers and there was no such thing as a bolt-on kit. :crazyeyes:

So Awesome! It was neat to see Mel's kids so little as well as EVO1 and Moby in tehir early stages. Very cool.

LOL - I know, they were so little. :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My favorite look of EVO1. Before it was trashed.

And those damn mud grapplers are so sticky. Can’t wait to get another set. If only they weren’t $500 for 40’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite look of EVO1. Before it was trashed.

And those damn mud grapplers are so sticky. Can’t wait to get another set. If only they weren’t $500 for 40’s.

Without question, Mud Grapplers are one of my favorite tires off road. It was after this trip that Cindy and I decided we needed a set for Moby. :yup:

Top Bottom