Rock Sliders and under carriage skid plates

G650Pilot

I need to order some rocksliders and skid plates for the JLUR. I was leaning towards either the rock hard skid plate system and either the LOD signature rock sliders or the rock slide engineering steps. Any other recommendations and cons to those items? I really like the look of the EVO bomber rockers with skins, but I don't want to drill into the body of the new jeep and I some skins the other day that seemed to have a gap between them and the body. Just seems like a great trap for dirt/sand etc... Thoughts?

A.J.

Depends on use. If you need the electric step the rock slides are about the only option out there that still offers some protection. The LoD’s are much better protection in my opinion which is more important to me. Rock hard skids are good to go. You didn’t mention EVO skids but also a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What A.J. said, if you really need the electric step, that's pretty much your only option. If not, I think there are better options for protection and ones that cost a lot less. As far as skids go, are you wanting to do the whole thing or just cover up areas that are exposed from the factory?

G650Pilot

I was thinking of covering most of the bottom. However, seems like a double edge sword.. Seems like it will offer great protection but at the cost of accessibility. Not sure what’s better to have. I do like the EVO skid plates. Thanks for the input. The step really isn’t of concern. The kids get in fine right now with nothing but the stock rails. Plus, not having a step is a freebie butt grab for the wife to help her in. Lol. LOD signature rock sliders look easy to install anyway. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of covering most of the bottom. However, seems like a double edge sword.. Seems like it will offer great protection but at the cost of accessibility. Not sure what’s better to have. I do like the EVO skid plates. Thanks for the input. The step really isn’t of concern. The kids get in fine right now with nothing but the stock rails. Plus, not having a step is a freebie butt grab for the wife to help her in. Lol. LOD signature rock sliders look easy to install anyway. [emoji106]

LOL - regarding skids, I personally would start off with just what you need. If you have an automatic, protecting the trans cooler lines is something I would recommend. Most options out there cover the oil pan as well. Again, me personally, I would just run the factory skids until or unless you find they "need" to be replaced. But again, that's just me.

MericaMade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rock slides are nice but if you don't need the step I would go with Evo or Lod mentioned above. I get where you are coming from not wanting to drill into a new jeep but that will pass. I hesitated as well to drill my jeep but have now drilled over 70 holes drilled into the body.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
The LoD rock sliders are a good choice. I have beaten the hell out of mine and they hold up with no body damage. I agree about sticking with original Rubicon skids. They also take quite a beating and hold up. There are tons of other thigs to spend money on more important IMO. Diff skids, FAD skid, skid to protect sway bar disc. It doesn't end there;)

jeeeep

Hooked
I installed the LOD on the JLU because I have them on the JKU and they have worked well as a step, a leverage point and taken hits with no damage to the body.

I will say i'm a little disappointed that they do not stick out as far from the body on the JLU as they do on the JKU and don't make a good a step as they do on the JKU.

if I were to have a do-over, I'd look more at other options.

Top Bottom