What say you?

boardsurfer

Negative Ghostrider.

not-sure-if-serious-gif.gif

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Always fun to see how people answer...

View attachment 342791

No. If the conveyor belt is exactly matching the aircraft's speed and there isn't some ridiculous headwind allowing the required lift that plane ain't going nowhere. The plane needs to move through the air to produce lift, and when the conveyor belt matches the vehicle's speed it isn't in fact moving through the air.

I could easily be wrong... Just my thoughts.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Yes a plane can take off!

Attachments

• 104-1048789_f-35-lightning-ii-f-35-lightning-vertical.jpg
    104-1048789_f-35-lightning-ii-f-35-lightning-vertical.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 102
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 102

desertrunner

Wouldn’t it be just like a car on a dyno. Wheels are spinning but vehicle not moving?
No because the thrust of the engines aren't going to the wheels. The thrust of the engines will still make the body of the plane move regardless of how fast the wheels are spinning underneath it

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Love myth busters. And I appear to be wrong on this one! Not my forte.

Its a trick question because you’re thinking about it like a car. If the same question was asked of a car the car wouldn’t move from its position because the engine is powering the wheels to push it forward. On a plane the wheels aren’t what pushes it forward the thrust from the engines does it and the wheels are just free rotating the ground and wheels have zero effect on the engines ability to push air.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
Why don't sail boats have fans to blow on the sails on calm days? :thinking:

Putting aside the practical problem of having a fan large enough to do anything, there’s the problem of basic physics. The force of the wind blowing on the sails from the fan will be approximately the same as the force exerted on the boat by the fan (attached to the boat). The forces will be in opposite directions and will cancel each other out, leaving the boat motionless.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Putting aside the practical problem of having a fan large enough to do anything, there’s the problem of basic physics. The force of the wind blowing on the sails from the fan will be approximately the same as the force exerted on the boat by the fan (attached to the boat). The forces will be in opposite directions and will cancel each other out, leaving the boat motionless.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Just turn the fan around and make it a fan boat.... Problem solved

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom