JL won’t shut off

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Last night a buddy was out on the trails and went up a hill that had what he thought was a shallow puddle at the bottom. As his front end climbed the back end dipped into the muddy water above the passenger tail light. It ended up filling the rear cubby and next hill he went down it proceeded to disburse muddy water all over the floorboards.
Fast forward, get it home and pull the carpets then rinse out the floorboards. It seemed fine before rinsing, but now it won’t shut off. Everything else starts and functions as it should. Any ideas what would have caused this from rinsing the floors that are supposed to be acceptable to cover in water?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to make sure, the transmission was in park, right? If so, I wonder if a sensor in the transmission shifter got wet and caused the issue. What did you do to ultimately turn it off?

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
curious if it shut off properly or if you ended up disconnecting the battery.

Just to make sure, the transmission was in park, right? If so, I wonder if a sensor in the transmission shifter got wet and caused the issue. What did you do to ultimately turn it off?

It finally shut off on its own after a lot of drying the harnesses along the floorboards with a heat gun and running the heater with the windows up for about 7 hours 🤪

It was in park. You could hit the button and everything would turn off except the engine basically. In the interim we pulled the battery and fuel pump relay and let it die.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It finally shut off on its own after a lot of drying the harnesses along the floorboards with a heat gun and running the heater with the windows up for about 7 hours 🤪

It was in park. You could hit the button and everything would turn off except the engine basically. In the interim we pulled the battery and fuel pump relay and let it die.

Damn, thanks for following up on this. I love the JL but I have to say, I really HATE how everything new these days have so much electronic crap.

Exodus 4x4

Lol, I was reading though and was going to suggest pulling the relay in the meantime. Looks like you got it figured out.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Damn, thanks for following up on this. I love the JL but I have to say, I really HATE how everything new these days have so much electronic crap.

Lol I have really started to appreciate my early model JK after some of the electronic woes I have seen.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Lol, I was reading though and was going to suggest pulling the relay in the meantime. Looks like you got it figured out.

Thanks, it was a last ditch effort. Luckily it would still lock so most of the next day we’d just let it run most of the day when we had to walk away for a bit

jeeeep

Hooked
now i feel the need to see what is below that drainage hole that could get wet and cause that issue.

Maybe test to see if the jeep can be started by water? :thinking:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
now i feel the need to see what is below that drainage hole that could get wet and cause that issue.

Maybe test to see if the jeep can be started by water? :thinking:

Lol

Seems the drainage hole in the trunk cavity is not a 1-way. That would make too much sense

mr.t.

Lol I have really started to appreciate my early model JK after some of the electronic woes I have seen.

My JK had a regularly had a stroke at 80mph on the freeway and lit the dashboard up and boiled the battery over.. to the point i was running around with a voltmeter in my lap for a week watching charging .. turned out to be one loose ground wire near the ecm.. all modern cars are as bad each other and especially FCA ones.

Top Bottom