Seeking advice on military trailer purchase

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Thinking of purchasing this '52 military pintel trailer. I would like to use it for some extended camping trips, nothing too wild off road but I don't know much at all about these trailers. What do you think a fair price would be? I looked up some prices on the internet and they seem all over the place. Guy says it has drum brakes and shocks. How much work/money do you think I'd need to put into this to get it looking nice?

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.59.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.59.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.59.51 PM.jpg

jjlong

I've seen m416 trailers in much worse condition go for $1,000 or more. I'd pay $1300-$1500 for it. As for fixing it up, I have no idea what that would cost.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Hard to tell just on those pics but it looks to be in pretty decent shape. A lot depends on how rusted out the frame is also. I’d probably pay 1200ish or so and plan to sink another 1000 in it for rust treatment, paint, wiring harness conversion, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I've seen m416 trailers in much worse condition go for $1,000 or more.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I think I can get this one for closer to the $700 range.

Hard to tell just on those pics but it looks to be in pretty decent shape. A lot depends on how rusted out the frame is also.

I thought it was in decent shape for its age (1952) going by the pics. I'm going to check it out in person tomorrow so I can see how the rust situation is. Thanks for the replies!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
So.... I ended up getting the trailer. I’m pretty excited about it. Think I’ll sandblast the old paint off and either stick with original olive drab or paint match the Jeep.

IMG_4989.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions like the Por 15.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s going to be a fun project. I like the body color idea, but thats me. Either one would look good.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Nice purchase! Looks like the electrical wiring may have already been done.

Just a note on POR15. If you use it, you must use their topcoat. Normal paint won’t adhere to it and POR15 is not U/V resistant.

I’d recommend painting it black...goes with color.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I would hand sand if first and see what’s under the paint. You might have original paint under the layers

Brute

Hooked
I would hand sand if first and see what’s under the paint. You might have original paint under the layers

If it's a '52 trailer, that would be in the middle of the Korean War...It would be interesting to see what the original paint is, most likely OD...

dustinfromohio

I have a similar trailer (bantam T3c). Extending the tongue and swapping the axle on mine to match the TJ. Can’t wait to see how yours comes out!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
If it's a '52 trailer, that would be in the middle of the Korean War...It would be interesting to see what the original paint is, most likely OD...

Well...it does appear to be OD. I found a spot where it’s showing through. The inside of the bed is in really bad shape with several layers of paint. It won’t be possible to take off the top layers and preserve the original, but it’s cool to see. BTW, my dad fought in the Korean War, so it’s pretty cool I have one from that era.

IMG_5008.jpg

Top Bottom