JL EVO tire carrier gap

wjtstudios

Hooked
I helped a friend of mine install his EVO carrier today, and where the mounts go through the body, it leaves large gaps. Am I missing something, or is this the way EVO intended it to be.

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

It seems like a lot of water and debris will get into those gaps

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Did you watch Eddie and Cindy’s video? Lol

That’s the way it’s “supposed” to be.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

Out here in SoCal it is not really a problem, but I could understand the concern back where you live.

That is how the one I did came out as well.

Maybe try fitting something in from the back side to plug it up?

wjtstudios

Hooked
I did. And as well as it’s designed, I was hoping there was something more. He’s going to tape it closed for now. I’ll see what I can come up with.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
No need to tape it up. Pour some water in there, you'll see it drain right out of the bottom. Only problem would be if he didn't replace the two pieces of "painted" tape on the inside of the tub, or at least secure the inner tub access holes with Gorilla Tape, etc.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
No need to tape it up. Pour some water in there, you'll see a drain right out the bottom. Only problem would be if he didn't replace the two pieces of "painted" tape on the inside of the tub, or at least secure the inner tub access holes with Gorilla Tape, etc.

Thank you! I’ll double check in the tape. I wasn’t there for that stage, just the finish.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

14ACES

Why wouldn’t evo extend the hinge mounting surface to cover the opening. Regardless if it drains that is just a poor design. It wouldn’t add that much cost to make the base of the hinge bigger to cover the opening.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Why wouldn’t evo extend the hinge mounting surface to cover the opening. Regardless if it drains that is just a poor design. It wouldn’t add that much cost to make the base of the hinge bigger to cover the opening.

I agree, it’s still a bad ass carrier, but a couple plastic filler plugs or a larger base plate would have really finished it off nicely.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Napalm

For those of you guys with this carrier, Where did you find the small torx bit for the back up camera to get the plug out? (T-8 I believe)

I can’t seem to find one anywhere! Looking for local stores since Amazon is delaying all their delivery times.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
For those of you guys with this carrier, Where did you find the small torx bit for the back up camera to get the plug out? (T-8 I believe)

I can’t seem to find one anywhere! Looking for local stores since Amazon is delaying all their delivery times.

I had one in my set, but you can check at HD or Lowe’s too. My set is from Lowe’s.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

I got the three piece set from Harbor Freight, small fold out set. One is SAE hex(Allen), one is metric hex, and one is torx.

I think Auto Zone has the same set, just a couple of dollars more.

I threw a picture of a similar set on Amazon for reference

Check this page and one or two pages past for how I was able to "fix" the problem with how EVO does the brake light and camera.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/56685-The-rise-of-Olaf-The-JL/page6
Attached Images

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200327-045250.jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-045250.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 93

Napalm

I had one in my set, but you can check at HD or Lowe’s too. My set is from Lowe’s.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I got the three piece set from Harbor Freight, small fold out set. One is SAE hex(Allen), one is metric hex, and one is torx.

I think Auto Zone has the same set, just a couple of dollars more.

I threw a picture of a similar set on Amazon for reference

Check this page and one or two pages past for how I was able to "fix" the problem with how EVO does the brake light and camera.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/56685-The-rise-of-Olaf-The-JL/page6
Attached Images

Thanks for the help guys! I went back to o’reilys and found this one in a different spot!
IMG_4418.jpg

Napalm

Guys that run this tailgate - question!

I got it installed today!
IMG_4489.jpg
IMG_4490.jpg
IMG_4491.jpg

As y’all can see from the pictures, I got my tailgate lined up almost perfectly to mine and my assistant’s eyes at least. It seems like it’s spot on. My question is, When I open the tailgate, it makes a completely different/louder sound when it first unlatches(like a much more pronounced sound). Is this just from the additional weight on the tailgate and latch or did I do something incorrectly?

Eddie - if you see this, THANK YOU for the great install video. I didn’t even use EVO’s instructions. I appreciate all you and Cindy do!

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Do you need to lift it to close it again? After running mine for a few hundred miles I had to readjust it, as it made a noise when opening (clunk) and I had to lift it close it. Now it opens and closes just like when it was new.

Napalm

Do you need to lift it to close it again? After running mine for a few hundred miles I had to readjust it, as it made a noise when opening (clunk) and I had to lift it close it. Now it opens and closes just like when it was new.

I can close it without lifting, but it just seems to be a little louder unlatching when I first open.

Did you adjust it at the exterior hinges or on the inside ones?

I just rewatched Eddie’s video and it sounds about like his did when he opens/shuts it at the end

I may run it for a little while and see how it does. I’m to tired to pull that tire off again today.

Last edited:

Napalm

I can close it without lifting, but it just seems to be a little louder than stock unlatching when I first open.

Did you adjust it at the exterior hinges or on the inside ones?

I just rewatched Eddie’s video and it sounds about like his did when he opens/shuts it at the end

I may run it for a little while and see how it does. I’m to tired to pull that tire off again today.

Top Bottom