Mysterious leak

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Ok, I have a leak in the front of my JK by the radiator. It is not the radiator because I just changed the radiator with a new oem mopar one. My radiator was leaking initially, So, this leak seems to be an oil substance, my oil, transmission and power steering fluid levels are right where they need to be. The fluid is dripping from the shroud that covers the bottom of the radiator and condenser. I have checked the lines and they seem not to be leaking. I feel like I am chasing gremlins. But the oil is spraying back and you can see the residue on the frame, control arms etc.. I figure with the looks of it, I would see a noticeable drop in fluid levels. I might end up having to pay the 145 dollars to have it checked by the dealership here in Tucson.

Does the Condenser run oil through it. Because I just looked again and the passenger bottom side of the condenser looks wet. Oh, also to note, the AC does work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Probably the condenser. Freon in liquid form is oily. You mentioned that your air conditioning works, but is it cold? Like less than 40F cold? If not then you’re losing freon. Leak might be minor enough to recharge with freon/stop leak combo assuming that it’s R134A. R1234yf has limited options.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I have a 2010 automatic 3.8 with a separate mopar trans cooler I had the dealership install in the front of the condenser.

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 2010 automatic 3.8 with a separate mopar trans cooler I had the dealership install in the front of the condenser.

Where abouts is the leak? Can you post a picture? Also, nearly all R134A refrigerant nowadays has dye in it automatically, so if it is an AC leak, you can pick up a UV light and a set of 'special' glasses from your parts store for an affordable price. If it's an AC leak, that dye will show up and glow a green color under the UV light.

Bierpower

Hooked
I guess first off we need to know if the oil is red (trans) or neon green/yellow (a/c pag oil). Sometimes you can get a white paper towel ( may be hard to find at this point in time) and just dab it on a drip or a clean oily spot and get some good info.

Side note, if they unhooked the factory trans cooler, you could have some residual fluid that is coming out of there depending on how long ago that was done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I am chasing the exact type of leak on my 2010 as you describe and weirdly I live just south of Tucson! I will post up anything I find. I am going to wrap some non flammable material around some of the hoses like steering, etc to see if I can keep it isolated to one spot instead of just seeing it sprayed all over. I also have it up on my hood a little so I think the fan is blowing it around some.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I am chasing the exact type of leak on my 2010 as you describe and weirdly I live just south of Tucson! I will post up anything I find. I am going to wrap some non flammable material around some of the hoses like steering, etc to see if I can keep it isolated to one spot instead of just seeing it sprayed all over. I also have it up on my hood a little so I think the fan is blowing it around some.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I also live in Sahuarita AZ, off of Sahuarita Rd, I take S. Wilmont to work everyday to the Base.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Ok here are so pics

Attachments

• 0326200634a.jpg
    0326200634a.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 0326200635.jpg
    0326200635.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 0326200636d.jpg
    0326200636d.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 0326200636b.jpg
    0326200636b.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 52
  • 0326200634c.jpg
    0326200634c.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 52

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
so, it does look like the condenser is leaking but it has a reddish tint to it but my transmission lines are going through my separate trans cooler. Which was installed 3 years ago.

So, could it be the bottom part of the trans cooler sprung a leak?

There seems to be some rust along the bottom and I am wondering if the bottom rusted out and it is residue fluid that has been sitting in there?

I was in colder climates with my Jeep for a long time. If this is the case and since my transmission lines are going through the separate cooler, there should be no worry, correct?

The top half of the condenser is for the A/C and the A/C is working great, I ran it all day yesterday.

Bierpower

Hooked
so, it does look like the condenser is leaking but it has a reddish tint to it but my transmission lines are going through my separate trans cooler. Which was installed 3 years ago.

So, could it be the bottom part of the trans cooler sprung a leak?

There seems to be some rust along the bottom and I am wondering if the bottom rusted out and it is residue fluid that has been sitting in there?

I was in colder climates with my Jeep for a long time. If this is the case and since my transmission lines are going through the separate cooler, there should be no worry, correct?

The top half of the condenser is for the A/C and the A/C is working great, I ran it all day yesterday.
When the did the new trans cooler was the old bypassed or was the new just added to the system? If it was bypassed and no longer connected you could drill into the bottom of the two ends and drain it all out. The worst part of that job would most likely be getting that plastic shroud off. The upside is taking the shroud off would give you a good look at what is leaking for sure.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Update, I went to the dealership and it is in fact the condenser / trans cooler that is leaking. The mopar separate trans cooler ties into the condenser, so the transmission lines and fluid actually run through both. Of, course it is a 900 dollar repair because they have to purge the A/C system and recharge it to swap the condenser or I would do it myself. Here is the picture of the additional transmission cooler that was installed on my Jeep 3 years ago.

Attachments

• 82212486AB.png
    82212486AB.png
    234.4 KB · Views: 39

Bierpower

Hooked
Update, I went to the dealership and it is in fact the condenser / trans cooler that is leaking. The mopar separate trans cooler ties into the condenser, so the transmission lines and fluid actually run through both. Of, course it is a 900 dollar repair because they have to purge the A/C system and recharge it to swap the condenser or I would do it myself. Here is the picture of the additional transmission cooler that was installed on my Jeep 3 years ago.
That's what I was afraid of. Usually when you add cooling capacity you don't eliminate the original cooler you just add on. At least you know what it is now.

Brute

Hooked
Well, the good news is you know exactly what it is and it is fixable...obviously the bad news is it is nine Benjamin's....

BaddestCross

Sorry, my eyes suck so I couldn't tell by the photos... If it's leaking at the fitting where the hard line transitions to the flexible line, you can cut it then flare the hardline and slip the rubber tubing back over it then seal it with a couple hose clamps.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Sorry, my eyes suck so I couldn't tell by the photos... If it's leaking at the fitting where the hard line transitions to the flexible line, you can cut it then flare the hardline and slip the rubber tubing back over it then seal it with a couple hose clamps.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Hey, no it is actually leaking from the condenser, after further review their is some rust on it and looks like a a pin hole in the condenser, salty roads up north suck. But, it did last 10 years, cant complain to bad and she is paid off and beats a car payment.

Top Bottom