Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mysterious leak

Knows a Thing or Two monstrousmac's Avatar

Mysterious leak

Ok, I have a leak in the front of my JK by the radiator. It is not the radiator because I just changed the radiator with a new oem mopar one. My radiator was leaking initially, So, this leak seems to be an oil substance, my oil, transmission and power steering fluid levels are right where they need to be. The fluid is dripping from the shroud that covers the bottom of the radiator and condenser. I have checked the lines and they seem not to be leaking. I feel like I am chasing gremlins. But the oil is spraying back and you can see the residue on the frame, control arms etc.. I figure with the looks of it, I would see a noticeable drop in fluid levels. I might end up having to pay the 145 dollars to have it checked by the dealership here in Tucson.

Does the Condenser run oil through it. Because I just looked again and the passenger bottom side of the condenser looks wet. Oh, also to note, the AC does work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by monstrousmac; 03-25-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Probably the condenser. Freon in liquid form is oily. You mentioned that your air conditioning works, but is it cold? Like less than 40F cold? If not then you’re losing freon. Leak might be minor enough to recharge with freon/stop leak combo assuming that it’s R134A. R1234yf has limited options.

Run the AC for a while and see if it stops working. I’m guessing it’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you have an automatic, the trans cooler is built into the bottom of the condenser.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Here's a 3.8 condenser. You can see how the fins change toward the bottom. That area is the trans cooler.1450581869.jpeg

I have a 2010 automatic 3.8 with a separate mopar trans cooler I had the dealership install in the front of the condenser.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrousmac View Post
    I have a 2010 automatic 3.8 with a separate mopar trans cooler I had the dealership install in the front of the condenser.
    Where abouts is the leak? Can you post a picture? Also, nearly all R134A refrigerant nowadays has dye in it automatically, so if it is an AC leak, you can pick up a UV light and a set of 'special' glasses from your parts store for an affordable price. If it's an AC leak, that dye will show up and glow a green color under the UV light.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by monstrousmac View Post
    I guess first off we need to know if the oil is red (trans) or neon green/yellow (a/c pag oil). Sometimes you can get a white paper towel ( may be hard to find at this point in time) and just dab it on a drip or a clean oily spot and get some good info.

Side note, if they unhooked the factory trans cooler, you could have some residual fluid that is coming out of there depending on how long ago that was done.

Last edited by Bierpower; 03-26-2020 at 04:34 AM.

I am chasing the exact type of leak on my 2010 as you describe and weirdly I live just south of Tucson! I will post up anything I find. I am going to wrap some non flammable material around some of the hoses like steering, etc to see if I can keep it isolated to one spot instead of just seeing it sprayed all over. I also have it up on my hood a little so I think the fan is blowing it around some.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkzinger View Post
    I am chasing the exact type of leak on my 2010 as you describe and weirdly I live just south of Tucson! I will post up anything I find. I am going to wrap some non flammable material around some of the hoses like steering, etc to see if I can keep it isolated to one spot instead of just seeing it sprayed all over. I also have it up on my hood a little so I think the fan is blowing it around some.

I also live in Sahuarita AZ, off of Sahuarita Rd, I take S. Wilmont to work everyday to the Base.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast