Quarantine Trailer Project

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Spending a little more time at home these days so decided it was time to start building this trailer. I’m still going to work so this won’t progress as quickly as I’d like but I can’t complain. End goal is a simple, functional trailer with RTT, running hot water, power etc. it’ll be a work in progress for quite some time but hope to have it able to go camp when we’re finally allowed out of the house.

Base frame was built of 2x3x.120 with about a 7’ piece of receiver stock for the tongue as it will be telescoping.

IMG_6979.jpg

Braced the tongue with 2x2x.120

IMG_6986.jpg

I notched the 2x3 to fit the tongue down inside and then plated over it with 1/4” flat bar.

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

Getting some help from my little buddy.

IMG_7015.jpg

Downhills were easy to keep hot and flat

IMG_7157.jpg

Uphills need some work to keep them from mounding up a bit. Tips are welcomed from anyone with pointers.

IMG_7158.jpg

Went with the Timbren 1 ton axleless setup. Just thought it seemed like a cool setup and most seem happy with it. Decided to weld it on as opposed to bolting because why not.

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg

Went with 33x12.5x15 to keep costs down a little and didn’t think I’d need any extra ground clearance. Also thought a lighter tire and wheel couldn’t hurt

IMG_7241.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

Welded on the Lock-n-Roll and hooked up to the Jeep to get an idea of how it will look. Trailer sits a little high at this point but we’ll see how it ends up when it’s finished and loaded up.

IMG_7242.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

I built the frame for the box out of 1.5” .095 wall tubing. Got it all welded up and set the tongue length to the max. Drilling 7/8” holes sucks especially with shitty bits. When I drill the rest I’ll bring the mag drill home or just put the 2” tube in the drill press. My son likes standing up through the frame.

IMG_7271.jpg

I think the tongue looks extremely long when set to this point. In this pic it’s set to 116” from hitch to axle center, which from what I read is “ideal”. I took it for a spin around the neighborhood and it tracks nicely and backs super easy. Maybe it won’t look so long once the tongue box is on but I can shorten it by over 3’ as well. I plan to have multiple settings for tongue length anyhow.

IMG_7272.jpg

So that’s how it sits now. Gotta source some sheetmetal, hinges, latches, etc. still not sure what I wanna use yet. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
Spending a little more time at home these days so decided it was time to start building this trailer. I’m still going to work so this won’t progress as quickly as I’d like but I can’t complain. End goal is a simple, functional trailer with RTT, running hot water, power etc. it’ll be a work in progress for quite some time but hope to have it able to go camp when we’re finally allowed out of the house.

Base frame was built of 2x3x.120 with about a 7’ piece of receiver stock for the tongue as it will be telescoping.

View attachment 344380

Braced the tongue with 2x2x.120

View attachment 344381

I notched the 2x3 to fit the tongue down inside and then plated over it with 1/4” flat bar.

View attachment 344382

View attachment 344383

Getting some help from my little buddy.

View attachment 344387

View attachment 344388

Uphills need some work to keep them from mounding up a bit. Tips are welcomed from anyone with pointers.

View attachment 344389

Went with the Timbren 1 ton axleless setup. Just thought it seemed like a cool setup and most seem happy with it. Decided to weld it on as opposed to bolting because why not.

View attachment 344384

View attachment 344385

View attachment 344386

Went with 33x12.5x15 to keep costs down a little and didn’t think I’d need any extra ground clearance. Also thought a lighter tire and wheel couldn’t hurt

View attachment 344390

View attachment 344391

Welded on the Lock-n-Roll and hooked up to the Jeep to get an idea of how it will look. Trailer sits a little high at this point but we’ll see how it ends up when it’s finished and loaded up.

View attachment 344392

View attachment 344393

I built the frame for the box out of 1.5” .095 wall tubing. Got it all welded up and set the tongue length to the max. Drilling 7/8” holes sucks especially with shitty bits. When I drill the rest I’ll bring the mag drill home or just put the 2” tube in the drill press. My son likes standing up through the frame.

View attachment 344394

I think the tongue looks extremely long when set to this point. In this pic it’s set to 116” from hitch to axle center, which from what I read is “ideal”. I took it for a spin around the neighborhood and it tracks nicely and backs super easy. Maybe it won’t look so long once the tongue box is on but I can shorten it by over 3’ as well. I plan to have multiple settings for tongue length anyhow.

View attachment 344395

So that’s how it sits now. Gotta source some sheetmetal, hinges, latches, etc. still not sure what I wanna use yet. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Looks Fantastic. you have done some amazing work there. Looking to start dubbing around on my trailer here too after get the jeep set up started.

View attachment 344388

That actually looks really nice up and downhill. At work, we build similar trailers. Close in size, shape and material thickness, and we weld them downhill with hardwire. As long as you’ve got it nice and hot and don’t travel to fast as you go down, you will be fine with that tube thickness.
Although, an uphill weld always gets a little better penetration. Maybe try and weave just a tiny bit wider to get it to flatten out. All in all though, most uphill mig looks just like that unless you have a machine with a pulse setting.
Really nice trailer, man.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Thanks all!

Looks sweet! What’s your plans for the floor of the trailer?

I plan on skinning it with 14ga sheetmetal including the floor.

That actually looks really nice up and downhill. At work, we build similar trailers. Close in size, shape and material thickness, and we weld them downhill with hardwire. As long as you’ve got it nice and hot and don’t travel to fast as you go down, you will be fine with that tube thickness.
Although, an uphill weld always gets a little better penetration. Maybe try and weave just a tiny bit wider to get it to flatten out. All in all though, most uphill mig looks just like that unless you have a machine with a pulse setting.
Really nice trailer, man.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Thanks I’ll give that a shot. I’ll have some scrap left over when I’m done so I’ll have some material to play with settings, gun angle, travel speed etc.

Looks good, I hope mine turns out that nice

Thanks and it looks like yours is coming along nicely as well.

Looking good brah...what do you think the tongue weight is at right now?

It’ll probably be a far cry from your Xventure but planning most of the same amenities. Not really sure on tongue weight but I’ll measure it when I get it skinned and tent mounted.

Top Bottom