Johnny joint help

desertrunner

So I have a johnny joint on my rear upper control arm that is squeaking like a stabbed rat. I figured it is pretty low on grease since I can't remember the last time I did it. I pulled the arm and man that ball socket is really really hard to move and for the life of me I can't get it to take grease. The zerk is good I pulled that and got grease through it no issue. So my question is can I disassemble the johnny joint clean it up and re install or do I have to have the rebuild kit to put it back together? Or any tips of getting this thing to take grease?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
Could try pulling the zerk and dowsing the whole thing with penetrating oil. That may desolve what is in there enough to get it moving again. If its seized you'll probably have a pretty rough time taking it apart. I'm no expert on the matter though, just thinking out loud.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have a johnny joint on my rear upper control arm that is squeaking like a stabbed rat. I figured it is pretty low on grease since I can't remember the last time I did it. I pulled the arm and man that ball socket is really really hard to move and for the life of me I can't get it to take grease. The zerk is good I pulled that and got grease through it no issue. So my question is can I disassemble the johnny joint clean it up and re install or do I have to have the rebuild kit to put it back together? Or any tips of getting this thing to take grease?

When it's that frozen up, you're best bet is to take the joint apart, clean it up/lube it up by hand and then re-assemble it. If you have a shop press, you can do this in minutes. If not, you can mcguyver your own too using sockets, washers and a bolt. Of course, you will need a good set of snap ring pliers too.

desertrunner

When it's that frozen up, you're best bet is to take the joint apart, clean it up/lube it up by hand and then re-assemble it. If you have a shop press, you can do this in minutes. If not, you can mcguyver your own too using sockets, washers and a bolt. Of course, you will need a good set of snap ring pliers too.
I may have spoke a little too soon on there zerk I changed it out and it was able to take some grease and move a little more eazy. I guess my worry with pulling it apart was not being able to reuse the seals but it sounds like I can thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have snap ring pliers so I'll have to try and track some down. Won't be a bad addition to the tool box anyways.

desertrunner

Well shit being able to get a little grease in there and work the ball around a bit it's finally freeing up to about the same as the other side. Sorry to waste thread space I guess but at least not I know those seals can be reused to some extent.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well shit being able to get a little grease in there and work the ball around a bit it's finally freeing up to about the same as the other side. Sorry to waste thread space I guess but at least not I know those seals can be reused to some extent.

Not a waste. It’s actually a good thread. I’m sure some people can’t pump in grease after a while and think they need a full rebuild of the joint when all they need is a new zerk. Glad you figured it out!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What coz said, not a waste at all. Sometimes, if you get the zerk in too far, it'll bottom out on the bushing and that will prevent grease from going in.

desertrunner

After all that it still wasn't the only source of my squeak.... But I'm glad I pulled it and got some grease in it since it obviously needed it.

The damn heim on the Evo swaybar link really was culprit haha

jeeeep

Hooked
After all that it still wasn't the only source of my squeak.... But I'm glad I pulled it and got some grease in it since it obviously needed it.

The damn heim on the Evo swaybar link really was culprit haha

heim joints always seem to squeak, I uaually soak them with WD-40 water resistant and seems to last longer than plain WD-40

Top Bottom