Feels like brakes are applied when no pressure on pedal

I've got a strange one I'm trying to figure out. I've recently changed a lot of things on my jeep. Front steering draglink, trackbar, tie rod, added Redneck Ram, new beadlocks with STT 37" Tires. Issue I'm now having and not sure when it started is that it feels like my jeep is braking while I'm in reverse and going forward at slow speeds. I don't free roll like I used to in neutral. I changed all the oils (transmission, transfer case, axles and engine oil) and didn't see any metal shavings in anything. There isn't any grinding noise, it just doesn't feel right. I'll check the brakes later today to see if there is anything going on there.

I'm new to beadlocks and didn't know if it was as simple as them being heavier than my previous wheels that is the difference I'm feeling or if something bigger is at play. Any suggestions would be welcome.

WJCO

Meme King
I would jack it up, put it in neutral, and rotate every wheel by hand. See if something is binding mechanically. That's where I would start.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Another quick indication if you are still driving it is to walk around the Jeep and see if one wheel is hotter than others. A stuck caliper will give you that feeling and will get that wheel hot. There usually is an grinding noise too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

So I've determined it is the driverside rear. With the jeep in neutral and ebrake off the passenger rear will turn but the driverside will not. It makes a little clunking noise when I pull the wheel back and won't allow me to go forward past the resting point if that makes sense. I took the wheel off but everything looks normal with the caliper and rotor.

I wonder if the ebrake is still engaged on that wheel?

Bierpower

Hooked
So I've determined it is the driverside rear. With the jeep in neutral and ebrake off the passenger rear will turn but the driverside will not. It makes a little clunking noise when I pull the wheel back and won't allow me to go forward past the resting point if that makes sense. I took the wheel off but everything looks normal with the caliper and rotor.

I wonder if the ebrake is still engaged on that wheel?
If you take the caliper off and the rotor still won't move it's the parking brake. If it spins at that point it's a brake system issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

The ebrake pad was pressed against the rotor. Took a bit to get the rotor off. I guess I'll just replace the guts. Thanks for everyone's help.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
The ebrake pad was pressed against the rotor. Took a bit to get the rotor off. I guess I'll just replace the guts. Thanks for everyone's help.

I replaced mine last summer. Most of the write-ups will say to remove your axle shafts. I was able to do it without removing them, but it was kind of a pain in the butt, it would be much easier to remove the axle shafts I think.

I replaced mine last summer. Most of the write-ups will say to remove your axle shafts. I was able to do it without removing them, but it was kind of a pain in the butt, it would be much easier to remove the axle shafts I think.

I replaced the driver side yesterday afternoon and put everything back together. I also did it with the axle in. It was a pain but I think less work than removing the axle shaft.That wheel now spins freely. I still have to do the passenger side and adjust the pressure. Plan on doing that this afternoon.

Top Bottom