08 Wrangler jolts on acceleration/shifting between D and R

Foofighter3

Hi all,

My 08 Wrangler X 2 door started making a sort of jolting motion that you can feel in the cab whenever I accelerate from a stop, accelerate from a slow 1-3 mph speed, or shift into reverse or drive. This happens most of the time but not 100% of the time. It usually does not happen if I very slowly apply the gas.

I had a lower control arm/track bar bolt replacement kit lying around so i went ahead and installed those, torqued to spec, and torqued all the upper control arms to spec as well, that did not fix the jolting.

What do you think? Transmission mount or engine mount or?

Thanks all!

UPDATE: Problem was due to excessive play in the drive shaft caused by bad auto locker install.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Hi all,

My 08 Wrangler X 2 door started making a sort of jolting motion that you can feel in the cab whenever I accelerate from a stop, accelerate from a slow 1-3 mph speed, or shift into reverse or drive. This happens most of the time but not 100% of the time. It usually does not happen if I very slowly apply the gas.

I had a lower control arm/track bar bolt replacement kit lying around so i went ahead and installed those, torqued to spec, and torqued all the upper control arms to spec as well, that did not fix the jolting.

What do you think? Transmission mount or engine mount or?

Thanks all!

It's times like these that you just want to breakout.

Foofighter3

Check your AT fluid level. Check it when warm with the engine running.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I do have a weeping transmission line but I never checked the fluid with it running/warm... ill check that and report back. It would be so cool if that was it, assuming nothing was damaged due to lack of fluid. Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like a bad ujoint to me. If someone else shifts the vehicle from drive to reverse, you should be able to visibly see it pop, if that's what it is.

Can't change one with a monkey wrench though.

Foofighter3

Sounds like a bad ujoint to me. If someone else shifts the vehicle from drive to reverse, you should be able to visibly see it pop, if that's what it is.

Can't change one with a monkey wrench though.

I haven’t checked that yet but I am thinking that may be it.. it also jolts pretty hard when shifting down if that is another symptom. Is the rear ujoint replaceable on an 08 or do a need a whole new driveshaft? Thanks.

Bierpower

Hooked
I haven’t checked that yet but I am thinking that may be it.. it also jolts pretty hard when shifting down if that is another symptom. Is the rear ujoint replaceable on an 08 or do a need a whole new driveshaft? Thanks.
I believe the factory driveshaft has a u-joint at one end and a CV joint at the other. The u-joint is replaceable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

littlebeas

Doing it on downshifts too makes it sound like a torque converter going bad on you to me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom