Rust!!!!

a-OK_in_my_JK

So I finally removed the factory running boards on my 2007 JK, exposing some unsightly surface rust on the frame. It's superficial but looks ugly. Was thinking about giving it a light sand, and hitting it with a few coats of black rust reformer. Anything special ya'll do when dealing with rust? Tips? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-T860 using WAYALIFE mobile app

POR15 is Good? Or BS snake oil?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good, sorry I shouldve been more specific.
Anything you can get at an auto store that says rust reformer is pure crap. To properly treat the rust you need to grind it all off, seal the metal and repaint with quality products that you cannot get at auto zone. Still post a pic.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Last year I built a metal frame for a shed and put 2 coats of Clear POR on it.. I can see it rusting underneath. I'll never use it again... To me It's just not worth the headache. I'd brush, or sand off the surface rust and spray paint it the best you can.

Spazbyt

Hooked
I used a can of Por on my CJ in some hard to reach spots almost 4 years ago and its held up great. There are some cons though. Its runny and drips all over. It does not stick to existing paint or bare metal for shit. It dries high gloss. It has to be top coated and that suck when its so glossy. It definitely has its uses but unfortunately a lot of people think its sand blaster in a can.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Good, sorry I shouldve been more specific.
Anything you can get at an auto store that says rust reformer is pure crap. To properly treat the rust you need to grind it all off, seal the metal and repaint with quality products that you cannot get at auto zone. Still post a pic.

This. If it's superficial a flapper pad and angle grinder should make quick work of it. If it's underneath or out of the way you cojld probably just prime then have line-x or zeibart it.

jesse3638

Hooked
This. If it's superficial a flapper pad and angle grinder should make quick work of it. If it's underneath or out of the way you cojld probably just prime then have line-x or zeibart it.
^^^This^^^

Superficial rust is easy to take care of. If its on the frame, as Primo said, get a flap wheel for an angle grinder or drill. It will quickly take it down to bare metal. Hit it with some good etching primer and paint with a quality black spray paint. This is what I did when I installed my long arm kit where I cut the brackets off. It was bare metal and I primed with Rustoleum etching primer then painted with Rustoleum semi-gloss black. Its held up great for nearly 8 years. The only thing is you can see the masking lines separating the factory frame paint and my paint. No big deal though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^^This^^^

Superficial rust is easy to take care of. If its on the frame, as Primo said, get a flap wheel for an angle grinder or drill. It will quickly take it down to bare metal. Hit it with some good etching primer and paint with a quality black spray paint. This is what I did when I installed my long arm kit where I cut the brackets off. It was bare metal and I primed with Rustoleum etching primer then painted with Rustoleum semi-gloss black. Its held up great for nearly 8 years. The only thing is you can see the masking lines separating the factory frame paint and my paint. No big deal though.

One thing I'll add to this is that rustoleum is not adequate in states that see salt. Doesn't even last a year, even their professional line. You need a real paint from an automotive paint supply store, which if you're going to do this work anyways you should really consider doing the entire frame. Epoxy or urethane primer. Quality coatings.

jesse3638

Hooked
One thing I'll add to this is that rustoleum is not adequate in states that see salt. Doesn't even last a year, even their professional line. You need a real paint from an automotive paint supply store, which if you're going to do this work anyways you should really consider doing the entire frame. Epoxy or urethane primer. Quality coatings.
Didn't even think about that as I live in the desert...haha. Thanks for adding that info.

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Yeah if you have to dealwith salt and don't want rust i highly recommend linex or zeibart underbody sprays. I still imagine I'll get rust. Hoping the warranty i got with my zeibart will cover me then!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah if you have to dealwith salt and don't want rust i highly recommend linex or zeibart underbody sprays. I still imagine I'll get rust. Hoping the warranty i got with my zeibart will cover me then!

I had my scrambler zeibart undercoated 24 years ago when I bought it, and had it maintained a couple times while I was driving it full time. A lot of the rust that I had to repair in the restoration that it is currently in came from salt getting between the undercoat and the body and working thru from the bottom up.

I’m sure that overall it did protect the Jeep, but long term, it caused a bunch of damage.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I had my scrambler zeibart undercoated 24 years ago when I bought it, and had it maintained a couple times while I was driving it full time. A lot of the rust that I had to repair in the restoration that it is currently in came from salt getting between the undercoat and the body and working thru from the bottom up.

I’m sure that overall it did protect the Jeep, but long term, it caused a bunch of damage.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
Esh... Good to know. Im hoping they've may e changed their formulation and process. I'll do it every year (like $100). If it rusts they should pay me... Hoping it was a good decision!

Top Bottom