New - Need a lot of JL upgrades guidance

Jill

If you didn't see my Hello post I'll say again that I am new here and to Jeep ownership. I now have a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I have never had an "off-road" vehicle but I have a truck I drive off-road at times though not recreationally - which is where the Wrangler comes into the picture. It's a toy, not a daily driver. That's why I'm here. I want to drive my Rubicon on the Rubicon Trail. Understanding that a stock Rubicon can make the trip, I am interested in a lift, tires, and more. I'm not looking to turn my Wrangler into a rock crawler. Just something more capable than its current stock form. How should I set it up?

Being practical. 2.5" lift? More? 37" tires? I've been doing some reading on additional skid plates; I understand the value yet also the inconvenience they can present in terms of access/maintenance. I have the standard bumper which I don't think can accept a winch. How important is a winch for Rubicon Trail? If needed I'll get one and an appropriate bumper as necessary. I've seen Youtube videos of Wranglers with Rubicon rails. They seem to suffice. Or should I consider upgrading to a product offering more protection? The purpose of beadlock wheels is not lost on me, but do I really need them? What's the largest tire that will fit on my stock wheels? What else? I don't know what I don't know. Maybe I have the wrong approach. @scratching head@

I don't know how else to steer the conversation other than to give a hypothetical number - which in reality doesn't matter - of $5000. How should I spend it? Not including additional tools and such. Just upgrades and add-ons to the vehicle itself.

Thanks for your time.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Well you should honestly start with some recovery gear, including a winch. Then if possible take the Jeep out on some trails with some friends and get a feel for the Jeep. Then start with a plan for upgrades. Also there is some great information here to read, how to videos and some good vendors also. Call Bubba at Exodus, he can steer you in the right direction also. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jill

Well you should honestly start with some recovery gear, including a winch. Then if possible take the Jeep out on some trails with some friends and get a feel for the Jeep. Then start with a plan for upgrades. Also there is some great information here to read, how to videos and some good vendors also. Call Bubba at Exodus, he can steer you in the right direction also. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app
I have recovery gear, including a winch, for my truck. I'd rather not move them back and forth between vehicles. Though it wouldn't be a big deal, i'd hate to forget one time and need it. It's on my shopping list.

I've already been out a couple times in the Wrangler where I drive my truck (was really eye opening how the Wrangler performed relative to my Superduty, crew cab, diesel) and will soon be on other trails (which I've never driven my truck on).

As for upgrades and add-ons to the vehicle it seems the options are endless which is why I'm looking for some guidance as a starting point.

Thanks for the response, 19YJ94.

Jill

It just occurred to me that I can't carry my air compressor... powered by my generator in the Wrangler like I do in my truck.

<adds on-board air to the shopping list>

A.J.

WRITE-UP : JL WRANGLER 2.5" EVO Stage 4 Boost Lift & Control Arms INSTALLATION
https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=1029558

This is a great start. With some plastic removal/trimming 37’s will fit and your pretty much Rubicon ready. Skid plates might be your next consideration. As I recall Eddie and Cindy ran the Rubicon shortly after this install. Might watch the video and see for yourself.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
^^this^^

I just helped put that lift under a friend of mines JLUR. It rides so much better than stock. We paired it with a set of 37” Nitto trail grapplers on new wheels with 4.25” backspacing. Very little to no rubbing at full flex. We also had to install EVOs tire carrier in order to fit the spare. Absolutely awesome setup. If I were to buy a JL, that’s the direction I’d take it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I think the winch and recovery gear comment is spot on. The Rubicon is VERY capable in stock form, however it doesn't come with a winch. If you do not have the steel bumper package, than 1st purchases should be a proper bumper and winch. Along with straps, tree hugger and a snatch block. You could do the Rubicon with that. Welcome to the forum btw.

Jims18roo

There are some pretty good recommendations for you regarding the rubicon trail set up if u look at the jeep jamboree requirements. Diff covers, minimum 35s. Winch. Lockers. JLUR is a great start to a lot of it.

Donjohn

Hi, I have a 2018 JL Wrangler and I want to replace the front bumper. I am also planning to put a winch after that.

Is anyone using an EAG bumper? Is it easy to install and how sturdy it is? I also want to add led light on the bumper. Upon researching I stumbled upon a good article about these EAG bumpers and it is a good read. Here is the link.

Anyone from here also planning to replace their bumper try to read it and I hope it will help. On my end, those who have it installed already, is it worth the price?

On my end, those who have it installed already, is it worth the price? Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Hi, I have a 2018 JL Wrangler and I want to replace the front bumper. I am also planning to put a winch after that.

Is anyone using an EAG bumper? Is it easy to install and how sturdy it is? I also want to add led light on the bumper. Upon researching I stumbled upon a good article about these EAG bumpers and it is a good read. Here is the link. Anyone from here also planning to replace their bumper try to read it and I hope it will help.

On my end, those who have it installed already, is it worth the price? Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks

We're running their tube doors on the JT. They've been fine so far but were a very low-priced item. I can only assume based on the price that they're likely manufactured cheaply. I wouldn't consider them for an actual bumper myself just based on that alone.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug

Is anyone using an EAG bumper? Is it easy to install and how sturdy it is? I also want to add led light on the bumper. Upon researching I stumbled upon a good article about these EAG bumpers and it is a good read. Here is the link. Anyone from here also planning to replace their bumper try to read it and I hope it will help.

I seen a picture a year or so ago with the shackle mount torn off one of their bumpers while winching with a snatch block. Metal is very thin. My advice would be to buy a quality made bumper.

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

Donjohn

We're running their tube doors on the JT. They've been fine so far but were a very low-priced item. I can only assume based on the price that they're likely manufactured cheaply. I wouldn't consider them for an actual bumper myself just based on that alone.

Okay, I may have to consider to research for other brands and I will try to compare with EAG, price and durability plus winch install with it. Appreciate you feedback.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I can recommend the following personally:
Synergy 2” lift kit $800
Fox 2.0 shocks $600
Mopar control arms 68322798AA (from the lift kit 2@$35/ea. These will keep your front caster but require no service)
Synergy front track bar $250
BFGoodrich KM3 tires $300/ea

I have some other stuff too, but this is my exact basic setup. Drives great on road & off.

You’ll be in good shape.

Donjohn

I seen a picture a year or so ago with the shackle mount torn off one of their bumpers while winching with a snatch block. Metal is very thin. My advice would be to buy a quality made bumper.

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

This is noted. Thank you Red Knight15.

Top Bottom