Jeep Gladiator engine swap

Overland_project

Hey there folks[emoji1422]
I was thinking about doing an engine swap for my Jeep Gladiator (Overland project). I could tecnicaly install a Hellephant engine (got a dealer who has one on stock), but they would be quite complicated if I would need repair parts anytime.
So a Hellcat is probably better right? To go really tough offroading a Hellcat will do it's job right? And there are lots of more repair parts etc.
I am building a Jeep Gladiator to then go on a (world) overland trip. Just tought the stock egine could be a bit lame if I go really offroading somewhere. What do you guys think? Also I would have to swap the gear box, transmission, exhaust, axles etc. But if I would keep the engine stock, there would be more repair parts and I would just have to replace my axles (for bigger tires). Is it still wort to swap an engine then? And last question: I was thinking about a 6.5 inch lift kit (to get better ground clearence and better wading deepth), so I could fit 37 inch tires or 40 inchers. Meaming I would have to replace the axles (I would probably go for Dana40/60). Could a stock engine still run that?

Sent from my SM-N960F using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Hey there folks[emoji1422]
I was thinking about doing an engine swap for my Jeep Gladiator (Overland project). I could tecnicaly install a Hellephant engine (got a dealer who has one on stock), but they would be quite complicated if I would need repair parts anytime.
So a Hellcat is probably better right? To go really tough offroading a Hellcat will do it's job right? And there are lots of more repair parts etc.
I am building a Jeep Gladiator to then go on a (world) overland trip. Just tought the stock egine could be a bit lame if I go really offroading somewhere. What do you guys think? Also I would have to swap the gear box, transmission, exhaust, axles etc. But if I would keep the engine stock, there would be more repair parts and I would just have to replace my axles (for bigger tires). Is it still wort to swap an engine then? And last question: I was thinking about a 6.5 inch lift kit (to get better ground clearence and better wading deepth), so I could fit 37 inch tires or 40 inchers. Meaming I would have to replace the axles (I would probably go for Dana40/60). Could a stock engine still run that?

Welcome to Wayalife. Have you driven a Gladiator yet? The powertrain is pretty impressive.

Also, have you seen Eddie and Cindy's JLX JTX video? They're running the stock engine with 40s. The axles they're running are Dana 60s with 5.38 gears. They drove it all they way across the country here and wheeled it hard and I don't recall them having any complaints in regards to power.

Another thing to consider in regards to a supercharged engine; it may sound cool on the street but can get pretty annoying on the trail. Personally, I haven't heard a Hellcat blower whine on the trail but I have heard aftermarket blowers on the trail, and it's really fucking annoying.

wjtstudios

Hooked
From a reliability and fuel efficiency standpoint, there’s a lot to be said about staying with the 3.6 with the 8 speed. Especially if you want to take that thing to some of the more remote parts of the world. Definitely go bigger on the axles. At least 60/60 or bigger if you decide to run 40s with a V-8. Just my thoughts.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

JeepTech

Anything is possible if you want to spend the money. You would have to upgrade the entire driveline to handle it like a 8HP95 trans out of a Demon but realistically a purpose built race trans able to handle the amount power would be best. Driveshafts and axles would also need to be replaced. Like previously mentioned it will drink gas. I’ve driven regular Hellcats and drove them normal and could watch the gas gauge move. Would it be a cool build absolutely, practical not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I’m no mopar expert by any means but considering that the hellcat and the helephant are based off the same platform I wouldn’t say one is going to be easier to work on over the other. As mentioned I think you best bet is to just stick with the 3.6 and carry extra fuel plus Do extra mods like gears

Overland_project

Yeah. For the supercharged moter I was also thinking about the wading deepth. Probably couldnt higher the wading deepth with a snorkel if installed a supercharger.
Just I will probably be pulling a 3tons camper trailer. Will the engine still be powerfull enough on hard tracks? I dont care to much about road driving and showing off...
Welcome to Wayalife. Have you driven a Gladiator yet? The powertrain is pretty impressive.

Also, have you seen Eddie and Cindy's JLX JTX video? They're running the stock engine with 40s. The axles they're running are Dana 60s with 5.38 gears. They drove it all they way across the country here and wheeled it hard and I don't recall them having any complaints in regards to power.

Another thing to consider in regards to a supercharged engine; it may sound cool on the street but can get pretty annoying on the trail. Personally, I haven't heard a Hellcat blower whine on the trail but I have heard aftermarket blowers on the trail, and it's really fucking annoying.

Overland_project

Ok. So better leave the engine all stock. Also as its probably easier to repair and stuff right?
From a reliability and fuel efficiency standpoint, there’s a lot to be said about staying with the 3.6 with the 8 speed. Especially if you want to take that thing to some of the more remote parts of the world. Definitely go bigger on the axles. At least 60/60 or bigger if you decide to run 40s with a V-8. Just my thoughts.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Overland_project

Yeah. I dont care so much about racing. I just want it to have enough power to pull a 3 ton trailer while overlanding (offroading). These are my doubts...
Anything is possible if you want to spend the money. You would have to upgrade the entire driveline to handle it like a 8HP95 trans out of a Demon but realistically a purpose built race trans able to handle the amount power would be best. Driveshafts and axles would also need to be replaced. Like previously mentioned it will drink gas. I’ve driven regular Hellcats and drove them normal and could watch the gas gauge move. Would it be a cool build absolutely, practical not so much.

Overland_project

Ok. So stock engine, stock transmission, just change the axles and install a 6.5 inch lift kit for bigger tires.
I’m no mopar expert by any means but considering that the hellcat and the helephant are based off the same platform I wouldn’t say one is going to be easier to work on over the other. As mentioned I think you best bet is to just stick with the 3.6 and carry extra fuel plus Do extra mods like gears

JeepTech

Yeah. I dont care so much about racing. I just want it to have enough power to pull a 3 ton trailer while overlanding (offroading). These are my doubts...

The 3.6 has plenty of power and torque. I was saying that as if you would run the stock 8 speed that comes with it that the Hellephant or even a regular hellcat engine is that it could cook the stock 8 speed. There are 7 different 8 speed trans that FCA uses now and they are all pretty much purpose built for whatever engine combo they run to handle the power and torque of that engine. I have been highly impressed with the power of the 3.6 since it came out in the JK’s. The updated 3.6 in the JL’s and JT’s are just as impressive. I have seen no issues out of the updated 3.6’s.

Overland_project

Ok thanks a lot buddy.
The 3.6 has plenty of power and torque. I was saying that as if you would run the stock 8 speed that comes with it that the Hellephant or even a regular hellcat engine is that it could cook the stock 8 speed. There are 7 different 8 speed trans that FCA uses now and they are all pretty much purpose built for whatever engine combo they run to handle the power and torque of that engine. I have been highly impressed with the power of the 3.6 since it came out in the JK’s. The updated 3.6 in the JL’s and JT’s are just as impressive. I have seen no issues out of the updated 3.6’s.

Top Bottom