Dynatrac 80/60 combo overkill for JT on 37s?

AndyWentJKU

I’ll try to keep this short and sweet guys (and gals) I just have to get the opinion of the most knowledgeable forum and no that’s not ass kissing.

Summed up, JT Rubicon and the plan is to run 37s now since she’s brand new and 100 my DD too. I do “moderate wheeling” a mixture of just trails up to playing on the rocks a bit but nothing like out west. I had PR44s on my JK and JL but they went with the vehicles when I sold them. The ultimate end goal will be to run 40s and have the JT for more of a trail only vehicle which I would want to sit on 60 front 80 rear. Question is has anyone run this setup on 37s? I know it’s overkill but could offer peace of mind now and already have them when I step up to 40s down the road. My only experience is in the ProRock44s but I loved everything about them when I had them. Thank y’all!!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You could do a 60/60 combo which will still be overkill but good for if you ever think your going 40’s. Also check out the spicer 60’s. I know Eddie has them on his JT and is super happy with them.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I would want 5:38 gearing in those axles for 40’s. As long as you don’t mind how it drives with 37’s then go for it. I don’t see the issue. But why even wait? Do you already have 37’s on? If your buying 37’s and the axles at the same time you might as well just get 40’s

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If all you're gonna do is run 37's, I'd just run them on your factory axles. There are plenty of guys doing that now and without any problems. IF in the future you need to make an upgrade or decide to bump up to 40's, make the upgrade at that time. Even with 40's, you'd be fine with a 60/60. I'm currently running Dana UD60's on my JT with 40's and without any issues.

AndyWentJKU

Thank y’all! I already have the 37s sitting around from older Jeeps. Right now she’s brand new and still on the factory 33s just trying to plan it out. I know 40s are the end game eventually, I’ve daily driven 37s and when re-geared I’m super happy with it, I can suck up the gas mileage, I’m realistic. I’ve never daily driven 40s though I guess that’s why I’m a little apprehensive about immediately going to 40s but maybe that’s all in my head. Whatever the plan I’ve been around at least long enough to know I only want to buy axles once haha.

Brute

Hooked
If all you're gonna do is run 37's, I'd just run them on your factory axles. There are plenty of guys doing that now and without any problems. IF in the future you need to make an upgrade or decide to bump up to 40's, make the upgrade at that time.

Spend the money once...it appears the gearing and that auto trans is fine with 37"s...

AndyWentJKU

Spend the money once...it appears the gearing and that auto trans is fine with 37"s...

If all you're gonna do is run 37's, I'd just run them on your factory axles. There are plenty of guys doing that now and without any problems. IF in the future you need to make an upgrade or decide to bump up to 40's, make the upgrade at that time. Even with 40's, you'd be fine with a 60/60. I'm currently running Dana UD60's on my JT with 40's and without any issues.

Thank you! I’ve tried to do my own digging I think it’s just the new JT platform has me a little off. I’ve built (and broke) TJs and JKs long enough to know what I can and can’t get away with and now feel like almost back at square 1 with something new!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I’d either get 37s and no axles or 40s and axles. That way your axle gearing choice will be perfect for the 40s with no dumb compromises.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thank y’all! I already have the 37s sitting around from older Jeeps. Right now she’s brand new and still on the factory 33s just trying to plan it out. I know 40s are the end game eventually, I’ve daily driven 37s and when re-geared I’m super happy with it, I can suck up the gas mileage, I’m realistic. I’ve never daily driven 40s though I guess that’s why I’m a little apprehensive about immediately going to 40s but maybe that’s all in my head. Whatever the plan I’ve been around at least long enough to know I only want to buy axles once haha.

With the right setup, DDing 40s isn’t much different than DDing 37s. I agree with the guys above, slap the 37s under it and call it a day or go straight for 40s and upgrade the axles. Either way your going to need to lift the Jeep, so you might as well lift it to the height to clear the 40s if you think you are going to get there sooner or later.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

WJCO

Meme King
Make sure you do a strong lift so you don't scrape the belly. 40s or not, wheelbase seems to be a game changer on these.

AndyWentJKU

Make sure you do a strong lift so you don't scrape the belly. 40s or not, wheelbase seems to be a game changer on these.

Thank you!! Yeah that’s been interesting to see, guys still rubbing the belly. I’m sure it’s annoying but it’s exciting to be wheeling something new!

Top Bottom