Qualiity diff gears

GeoWillys

So I am going to regear, from 3:73 to 4:56. Is there a trusted quality brand of have gears that you guys have used and recommend? I was going to go Yukon but one of the only driveline shops near me does not use this brand. I do not want use any harbor freight quality crap on my rig, so I am open to your experiences and input.

wjtstudios

Hooked
So I am going to regear, from 3:73 to 4:56. Is there a trusted quality brand of have gears that you guys have used and recommend? I was going to go Yukon but one of the only driveline shops near me does not use this brand. I do not want use any harbor freight quality crap on my rig, so I am open to your experiences and input.

I would’ve said Yukon, but Revolution is great too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bouche03

Gear are pretty much all made in the same place, I think the warranties are different among manufacturers, but if you look they have a K stamping on the ring gear. Some companies treat the gears different, whether that be cryro treating or heating them, but you won't go wrong with Revolutions

GeoWillys

Thank you, I am going to see what brand they use and that may shed a little light on things. I just do not have a lot of peeps doing that kind of work on a regular basis in my area of the country. Unless someone lives in NE ohio area and can make some recommendations.

GeoWillys

Re-Gear go ahead

Turns out this drive-line shop will only use Dana Spicer which I am OK with being OEM. Turns out they have an outstanding reputation for their work and customer service so I am going ahead with the re-gear. My last remaining issue is the shop is located 60 miles away nearly all freeway and I am concerned about the breakin. I am just considering having it flat bedded back home. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

jmedgar

Turns out this drive-line shop will only use Dana Spicer which I am OK with being OEM. Turns out they have an outstanding reputation for their work and customer service so I am going ahead with the re-gear. My last remaining issue is the shop is located 60 miles away nearly all freeway and I am concerned about the breakin. I am just considering having it flat bedded back home. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

I had an over 300 mile drive home after my regear. I just drove for 30 minutes then stopped and waited for everything to cool down before driving again. Took forever and wasn’t real fun, but I’d think if you just stopped somewhere in the middle of your drive to let them cool you’d be good. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JCPII

I had the same issue when I had 4.88's done (60+ miles from home). My AAA membership paid off that day. They sent out a flatbed, no questions asked.

I had an over 300 mile drive home after my regear. I just drove for 30 minutes then stopped and waited for everything to cool down before driving again. Took forever and wasn’t real fun, but I’d think if you just stopped somewhere in the middle of your drive to let them cool you’d be good. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

^ this
Pickup a laser temp gun and just point it at the diff cover. Vary the speeds so its not just all highway, take some back roads. Stop for food. Drive weird. etc. Im sure the shop can give you a quick run down of their preferred break in procedures.

jeeeep

Hooked
my drive home after the regear was all freeway, no real back road options.

I took ample water and snacks for the drive back lol

Flashers on, stayed in the slow lane and did the break-in routine; luckily i was able to find good spots to pull off onto to allow the gears to cool.

Took awhile but got it done.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I’m getting ready to throw in a set of Spicer 5.13s. They setup so easy and don’t require a “break in” period. Been really impressed with spicer performance parts. They definitely have changed up the aftermarket drivetrain market the last 5 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Slimebones

I’m getting ready to throw in a set of Spicer 5.13s. They setup so easy and don’t require a “break in” period. Been really impressed with spicer performance parts. They definitely have changed up the aftermarket drivetrain market the last 5 yrs.

What makes them so different that they do not require a break-in process?

bkac

Caught the Bug
What makes them so different that they do not require a break-in process?

They are machined like oem gears in a new car, have you ever seen a new car that must go to the dealership and have the gears checked and fluid changed after 500 miles. It’s also like the UD60 axles they don’t require the initial 500 mile fluid change either. It’s an extra step in the process they do. Below will help explain it. It’s the lapping that eliminates that process.

Face Hobbing

Cuts gearing to precision spacing between gear teeth
Ensures continuous indexing so teeth are constantly mated
Significantly reduces noise, vibration, and harshness

Lapping

Removes tool cutter marks from tooth contact area
Reduces noise and heat
Produces a better contact pattern

Slimebones

They are machined like oem gears in a new car, have you ever seen a new car that must go to the dealership and have the gears checked and fluid changed after 500 miles. It’s also like the UD60 axles they don’t require the initial 500 mile fluid change either. It’s an extra step in the process they do. Below will help explain it. It’s the lapping that eliminates that process.

Face Hobbing

Cuts gearing to precision spacing between gear teeth
Ensures continuous indexing so teeth are constantly mated
Significantly reduces noise, vibration, and harshness

Lapping

Removes tool cutter marks from tooth contact area
Reduces noise and heat
Produces a better contact pattern

And just out of curiosity, how do you know if a certain manufacturer uses the above mentioned processes or not?

bkac

Caught the Bug
And just out of curiosity, how do you know if a certain manufacturer uses the above mentioned processes or not?

Because that’s why they require breaking in. I researched this years ago when I bought my UD60s and called the engineer at Dana and asked why I didn’t need to break in their gears, he explained all about the lapping process that is used like oem that prevents them to not need break in. I’m just sharing what I researched. That’s also why spicer gears setup very easy. I always wondered why you didn’t have to break in a new cars gears. Same process.

jdofmemi

Because that’s why they require breaking in. I researched this years ago when I bought my UD60s and called the engineer at Dana and asked why I didn’t need to break in their gears, he explained all about the lapping process that is used like oem that prevents them to not need break in. I’m just sharing what I researched. That’s also why spicer gears setup very easy. I always wondered why you didn’t have to break in a new cars gears. Same process.

Thanks for sharing this. That is good information 👍

Top Bottom