37s on LJ Rubicon Axles

wjtstudios

Hooked
My neighbor’s Orange LJ that some you guys know, wants to put 37s under it. He’s still running the stock 44 axles with 4:10 gears. He just put a Currie/Rancho 4” lift under it and has the mopar high clearance fenders and 1.5” spacers. We where heading north to test the new suspension when his main seal blew out. He’s been running 35s for years with no issues so far. But this will add more stress of course, is it too much? I’m not as familiar with the LJ axles. After this weekend’s joy, he’s buying a trail or riding on mine for long highway runs. What else with in reason should we do? I’m assuming gussets and a truss on the front? Gear ratio?

Thanks guys!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I don't remember what all the differences are from the TJ to the JK in regards to axles. I think an LJ weighs about the same as a 2 door JK.

I would suggest similar upgrades you would do to a JK, truss, gusset, stronger shafts(chromoly rear and chromoly or rcv in the front).

Gears would depend on manual or auto but a quality set of 4.88 or 5.13, any more and the pinion gets to small.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I don't remember what all the differences are from the TJ to the JK in regards to axles. I think an LJ weighs about the same as a 2 door JK.

I would suggest similar upgrades you would do to a JK, truss, gusset, stronger shafts(chromoly rear and chromoly or rcv in the front).

Gears would depend on manual or auto but a quality set of 4.88 or 5.13, any more and the pinion gets to small.

Yeah, that’s my thoughts as well. I’ve never built on that platform. The other issue we are having now is finding a 37” tire for a 15” wheel. Toyo seems to be the only manufacturer.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Yeah, that’s my thoughts as well. I’ve never built on that platform. The other issue we are having now is finding a 37” tire for a 15” wheel. Toyo seems to be the only manufacturer.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I have not owned one myself. I have a friend with a 97 TJ he bought new and built everything himself. It is running a rubi d44 front and ford 8.8 rear with 4.88s on 35s, he went to 17s years ago because of tire selection. Last weekend we were discussing what going to 37s would require for him, he will need high clearance fenders to go with those axle upgrades.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have not owned one myself. I have a friend with a 97 TJ he bought new and built everything himself. It is running a rubi d44 front and ford 8.8 rear with 4.88s on 35s, he went to 17s years ago because of tire selection. Last weekend we were discussing what going to 37s would require for him, he will need high clearance fenders to go with those axle upgrades.

Thank you. He has the high clearance fenders already. I’ll let them know about the Toyos. Which ones is Fiend running?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
I believe they are Open Country MTs, but maybe he'll see this and jump in to confirm.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yep that’s what I have. 37x12.50. They’ve been excellent. Couple of rubicon trips, Fordyce, Moab, and many SoCal desert trips. No flats, no side wall punctures, no major chunking. A couple of them took a fair amount of weight to balance, but so what.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yep that’s what I have. 37x12.50. They’ve been excellent. Couple of rubicon trips, Fordyce, Moab, and many SoCal desert trips. No flats, no side wall punctures, no major chunking. A couple of them took a fair amount of weight to balance, but so what.

Thanks Fiend. Unfortunately, we found there’s only 14.5” width on the 15” wheels for some reason.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
I hate to ask it, but does anyone run super swamper TrXus MT. They make a 37x12.5xR15.

They are about the only ones I can find.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

A.J.

Speaking of which. It had a d44 front with 4.56’s and chromoly axles. I did manage to break it but I had some HP in that one. It held up to a lot of abuse until the tank trap. 4lo first gear lockers on and full throttle. Front end caught air and I stayed in it too hard. Came down under power and KABOOM! Broke the u joint in the knuckle and took 6 teeth off the ring gear all at once. Good times!

fiend

Caught the Bug
Speaking of which. It had a d44 front with 4.56’s and chromoly axles. I did manage to break it but I had some HP in that one. It held up to a lot of abuse until the tank trap. 4lo first gear lockers on and full throttle. Front end caught air and I stayed in it too hard. Came down under power and KABOOM! Broke the u joint in the knuckle and took 6 teeth off the ring gear all at once. Good times!

That’s some dukes of hazzard shit right there.

jdofmemi

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one on here that admits to doing stuff like that from time to time🍻🍻

A.J.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one on here that admits to doing stuff like that from time to time[emoji482][emoji482]

I’ve mellowed with age a little. I used to be a little crazy. Wrench all night just to tear it up the next day. Couple accidental overnights here and there too. Bench seat was pretty comfy for sleeping. Really comfy after the whiskey was gone and the fire burned down. I would die now. Lol!

Top Bottom