Johnny Joint question

Ddays

Hooked
Seems line an awful lot of play for roughly 25k on these JJ's. I don't know if these were clocked better so that the notches in both the adjusting nut and tightening nut were lined up
this would be tighter? Anyone got any comments or suggestions?

wjtstudios

Hooked
When I had mine off during the swap and adjustments, I didn’t have any play like that. I have 35k on them and they were tight as a bell.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
When I had mine off during the swap and adjustments, I didn’t have any play like that. I have 35k on them and they were tight as a bell.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Do you know if the notches I mentioned on yours were clocked together?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I thought the joint was the roughly spherical part with the sleeve in it. Not the straight part. 🤣

Seriously, that looks wrong and dangerous to me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

Do you know if the notches I mentioned on yours were clocked together?

I just got done installing my PR44 and checked all my ends and did not have any play and I have about 12k miles on mine. As for the notches I adjusted mine which ever direction was closest to get in line the best I could. I know Synergy really empathizes lining up the notch for maximizing clamping force. That sure seems like a lot of play in the video.

Have you tried lining the notches up to see if the result changes?

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, those are definitely not right. Emailed Bubba and I'm ordering new inserts. Just for the hell of it, I'm gonna bring one home & line up the notches to see if that doesn't help. Regardlesss, I'm still ordering new inserts.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That’s a ton of play... I’d probably replace the rod end and adjustment collar. I had a small about of play on one of mine and the pinch bolt was tight to the point that the pieces that the pinch bolt goes through were touching each other. Mel told me to take a cutoff wheel and make the slit bigger. Haven’t had issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
That’s a ton of play... I’d probably replace the rod end and adjustment collar. I had a small about of play on one of mine and the pinch bolt was tight to the point that the pieces that the pinch bolt goes through were touching each other. Mel told me to take a cutoff wheel and make the slit bigger. Haven’t had issues since.

That's a good idea - thanks for the tip!

jeeeep

Hooked
Good that you've ordered new inserts, that insert may be wallowed out causing it to have that much play?

The inserts on mine have zero play at the insert and over 150k miles on them.

I should probably take them apart and check the bushings while i have idle time :hmm:

how far into the control arm is the stud of the JJ (trying to ask that without setting this up for shaft jokes lol) looks like it may be threaded out too far?

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
-
Good that you've ordered new inserts, that insert may be wallowed out causing it to have that much play?

The inserts on mine have zero play at the insert and over 150k miles on them.

I should probably take them apart and check the bushings while i have idle time :hmm:

how far into the control arm is the stud of the JJ (trying to ask that without setting this up for shaft jokes lol) looks like it may be threaded out too far?

There's still at least a good 1-1/2" threaded into the end of the arm. Once I get the new inserts I'm gonna take one from the tire carrier and try it vs the old one to see if there is a difference.

wjtstudios

Hooked
How far is too far on the double adjustables? I have about 5/8-3/4” out from the 2” adjustment nut and the arm itself, plus the same on the other side to the Johnny joint. I need to move my front out about 1/4” more to clear the back of the fender at full stuff. Any issues?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Now you guys are making me think I need to take mine apart after the wreck and check all the fronts...

Top Bottom