Limit straps for axles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, not me but probably could use some with my EVO coil overs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Thanks Eddie! I know your JL has been through many evolutions, and if you did not see reason or conditions to use straps I am relieved. I have been concerned about shock travel.

Did you have to do anything about your brake lines or wiring because of flex? Last time out every light on the dash was on after extreme flex. Engine Light (comes on every once in a while near end of a wheel day), ABS light, Traction Control light. After getting home and washing off mud and rocks there was no visible damage to any lines. I disconnected battery for 10 minutes. Afterwards, before I was out of driveway all lights OFF. This seems typical on modern Jeep with all the electronic BS. Still, a little concerned about someday hyper-extending a brake line or wire harness.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie! I know your JL has been through many evolutions, and if you did not see reason or conditions to use straps I am relieved. I have been concerned about shock travel.

Did you have to do anything about your brake lines or wiring because of flex? Last time out every light on the dash was on after extreme flex. Engine Light (comes on every once in a while near end of a wheel day), ABS light, Traction Control light. After getting home and washing off mud and rocks there was no visible damage to any lines. I disconnected battery for 10 minutes. Afterwards, before I was out of driveway all lights OFF. This seems typical on modern Jeep with all the electronic BS. Still, a little concerned about someday hyper-extending a brake line or wire harness.

I made sure to free up and or re-route all my brake lines and ABS lines at a full droop. The main reason to run limit straps is to help prevent driveline bind at a full droop.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Not JL but I installed them on the rear of my Gladiator. I have 32” long shocks and my 26” EVO brakelines and 16” swaybar links just aren’t long enough. I need to get some custom longer brakelines and some 19” swaybar links but in the meantime I added some limiting straps.

IMG_0980.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not JL but I installed them on the rear of my Gladiator. I have 32” long shocks and my 26” EVO brakelines and 16” swaybar links just aren’t long enough. I need to get some custom longer brakelines and some 19” swaybar links but in the meantime I added some limiting straps.

View attachment 345888

I like how you tied them into the sway bar mounts. Clever. I should note that an added benefit of limiting your travel like that is that your rear driveline won't bind up the way it does at big droop. Hoping EVO comes out with some better control arm mounts or better yet, trailing arms to help address the wonky factory geometry.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I like how you tied them into the sway bar mounts. Clever. I should note that an added benefit of limiting your travel like that is that your rear driveline won't bind up the way it does at big droop. Hoping EVO comes out with some better control arm mounts or better yet, trailing arms to help address the wonky factory geometry.

Thanks I was looking for a temp solution and had these 24” ones hanging in the garage. I love EVO suspension but I got to tell you not having the rear Trackbar is really nice and there’s zero binding to this 4link design. I’m not a huge fan of the joints but so far I’m happy with this design. I still need to weld in my cradle. Now trailing arms would be ultimately the way to go.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thanks I was looking for a temp solution and had these 24” ones hanging in the garage. I love EVO suspension but I got to tell you not having the rear Trackbar is really nice and there’s zero binding to this 4link design. I’m not a huge fan of the joints but so far I’m happy with this design. I still need to weld in my cradle. Now trailing arms would be ultimately the way to go.

How the the rear axle stay centered with out a rear track bar? The sway bar?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Trailing arms is what I’m holding out for.

WJCO

Meme King
Hoping EVO comes out with some better control arm mounts or better yet, trailing arms to help address the wonky factory geometry.

Trailing arms is what I’m holding out for.

What would be the benefit to something like this? In comparison to what the oem setup is ? I don't plan on doing much if any offroading with mine but I'm still curious. I may change my mind some day :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I should note that in spite of the hard on that Jeremy has for me, I always call it like it is and had said at SEMA, when I first saw it, that it was a good design and that I liked it. A huge improvement over his traditional 3-link stuff. Like you, still not a fan of the joints but otherwise, he did a good job.

What would be the benefit to something like this? In comparison to what the oem setup is ? I don't plan on doing much if any offroading with mine but I'm still curious. I may change my mind some day :D

Well, for one, you get to remove the track bar and that'll help provide straight up and down movement, something that's nice when driving hard and fast and you'd also get a greater degree of bind free flex. The OE suspension geometry is wonky in that it was designed more for towing than for wheeling and when flexing, the pinion drops quite a bit. This causes significant driveline bind. From what I'm hearing from Bobbie, the new upper control arm mounts eliminate this problem.

Trailing arms would solve a lot of these problems as well but with perks.

TheGrendel

View attachment 345888

man that looks nice

bkac

Caught the Bug
Here’s a few more photos of the triangulated 4 link. I have left the stock brackets on for a few reasons for now. The first is I want to be able to go back to a track bar if the system doesn’t prove itself out. The second reason is I want to go to 60’s soon and be able to sell my factory rear axle.

IMG_1036.jpg IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_1038.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
Given that those frame mounts for the upper arms weren’t designed for lateral loads, it’ll be interesting to see how they hold up, particularly with a heavy axle and oversized tires.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
Given that those frame mounts for the upper arms weren’t designed for lateral loads, it’ll be interesting to see how they hold up, particularly with a heavy axle and oversized tires.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree with you and this was one of my main concerns. I actually had several conversations with Jeremy (RK) about this. He said he worked with Jeep on this and they signed off that the extra loading was fine. He also said the same thing about the axle truss. I was really struggling with it myself. Those brackets are much thicker due to the towing capacity in the rear. Time will tell. Honestly I’m not b a fan of the JT and JL frame thickness at all myself. They are fun to weld to. [emoji53]

Top Bottom