Synergy Tie rod and Drag link

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Afternoon folks, those who have the Synergy tie rod and drag link on your JL, I am curious if any of you have had your rod and or drag link 'turn' while off roading?
Twice now after hard crawling, mud puddles and the like, when I get home and finally give undercarriage a look, the Tie rod will turn (predicated on a whack more than likely) so that the bolts on either end are no longer 'parallel'. Now Synergy states in directions to 1) make sure the threaded sleeves are positioned so that one of the adjuster slots line up with slot in the tie rod. This I did, and 2) torque to 90 ft lbs. Twice the tie rod has been turned so that tie rod is pivoted, not allowing for proper motion in the spindle knuckle. The drag link has done this only once. The first time, I loosened and straightened everything and torqued to 90 ft lbs. FYI 90 ft lbs is not enough. Second time this occurred I tightened with 1/2" drive air gun. Much more than 90 ft lbs. It has been holding.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I haven't had any rotation, then again I haven't smacked it on anything. When I was chasing DW I called Synergy and was told that the recommended torque rating of 90 lb-ft was conservative, and was advised to try 100 to 110 lb-ft.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I haven't had any rotation, then again I haven't smacked it on anything. When I was chasing DW I called Synergy and was told that the recommended torque rating of 90 lb-ft was conservative, and was advised to try 100 to 110 lb-ft.

120 ft lbs is the torque spec for Grade 8 fine thread 1/2-20, which is what they are. Seems the lesson is to go by the bolt spec on anything you buy and NOT what the manufacturer of component (not bolt) says.

deezus

I Have both the drag link and the tie rod from synergy, but I also have one ton axles and 40s.
That being said, I like the tie rod because for me it's affordable and easy to adjust. As for the drag link I didn't find it to be easy to adjust. But again I'm just a novice off-roader and definitely a novice mechanic.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom