Long arm upgrade or Rubicrawler?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Looking to plan my next big upgrade. I’m torn with going for a long arm setup because everything works right now. Sure I would love a smoother ride, less axle swing and better manners when driving over obstacles but the mid arm is working well so far.

I do lack power when crawling the bigger obstacles so I lean towards a Rubicralwer. I don’t really want to get a Rubicon T-case because I like my 2.72:1 on the trail and the 4:1 would feel like I might be struggling to keep up. Also if my case breaks, I can easily find a cheap replacement instead of looking for a rubicon case.

A DIY setup for long arm puts me around $1600-$1800. That’s just mounts, joints and DOM. A decent off the shelf kit starts around $2300 and rapidly jumps. Rubicrawler is $1700. Just trying to put my money where it’s going to be used the best.

Here’s some vehicle specs:
2010 JKU Sahara
3.8/Auto/40s
F350 axle swap. D60/Sterling 10.5/5.38
Rock Krawler 4.5” X Factor Mid Arm (8 adjustable control arms)
Daily driver
F365A828-CFBD-4482-A948-DF9B5D5AF44F.jpg IMG_5763.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don’t have either, but I would probably be more instantly gratified by the rubicrawler if I didn’t have a rubicon. Although, if you’re just in need of a good project, DIY long arms would be way more fun imo, haha.

Nice Jeep. I read all of your build thread a while back. Thanks for the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I don’t have either, but I would probably be more instantly gratified by the rubicrawler if I didn’t have a rubicon. Although, if you’re just in need of a good project, DIY long arms would be way more fun imo, haha.

Nice Jeep. I read all of your build thread a while back. Thanks for the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

DIY is fun for sure. Thanks for the kind words!

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Rubicrawler was specifically for the Rubi t-case to give it the 2.73:1 as well as the lower gearing. I didn't think it would work or serve a purpose for the standard t-case.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Works with the 42RE transmission. Can be used with a rubicon or non-rubicon. Non-rubicon goes from 2.73:1 to 7.4:1 if you put it in low. Rubicon will go from 4:1 to 10:1 if you desire which is super low. With the Rubicrawler I can still use 2.73:1 or shift to 7.4:1 for the more technical stuff.

BaddestCross

Yeah, it's been awhile since I looked at it... Just read their site again. So the only thing you'd be gaining is the 7.whatever and 2.73 in 2WD.

This is on my wishlist because of the 2.73 (because you're right about 4:1 in-between obstacles, I usually switch back to 4H) and the 2WD low.

That being said, 7.whatever would be super low (don't think I'd ever use the 10.whatever on the Rubi) and you'd probably rarely use it. It would seem to me, from the sounds of how you use your Jeep, you'd be happier with a Rubi case getting you the 4:1.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

wjtstudios

Hooked
I haven’t priced the Atlas for the JK yet, but the one advanced adapters built for my scrambler was $2300 delivered. It would be levels stronger than a stock tcase with a rubi crawler on it. Just a thought.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have a Rubicrawler on my JKUR. So I have both a 2.7:1 and a 4:1, as well as a 10.8:1. I love it. I use the 2.7 all the time, as much or more as the 4:1.

I’m not sure how great a Rubicrawler would be with a 2.7:1 transfer case though. You wouldn’t get a third option like I have. Just the 2.7:1 and the 7.3:1. I suspect that the 7.3:1 low would be impractical for most situations, like my 10.8:1.

Personally I’m not persuaded that long arms are worth the time and expense, at least the off the shelf kits I’ve seen.

Knowing a bit about your Jeep and what you like to do with it, I’d bank the money away for an engine swap down the road.

Last edited:

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I have a Rubicrawler on my JKUR. So I have both a 2.7:1 and a 4:1, as well as a 10.8:1. I love it. I use the 2.7 all the time, as much or more as the 4:1.

I’m not sure how great a Rubicrawler would be with a 2.7:1 transfer case though. You wouldn’t get a third option like I have. Just the 2.7:1 and the 7.3:1. I suspect that the 7.3:1 low would be impractical for most situations, like my 10.8:1.

Personally I’m not persuaded that long arms are worth the time and expense, at least the off the shelf kits I’ve seen.

Knowing a bit about your Jeep and what you like to do with it, I’d bank the money away for an engine swap down the road.

Damn, you had to go there with the engine swap. Haha. Didn’t know you had a Rubicrawler. Thanks for the insight.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Just read through your build thread. Wow, what a great read! Oh, and hi from another WA guy. I can't really offer any insight regarding the t case or an engine swap, but just wanted to comment on how much fun it was to read through your thread.

If this were a poll I would vote for banking money away for a swap. You mentioned somewhere in there you would like more power than the 3.8, I love the long arms, but if you're happy with the mid arm....

Last edited:

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Just read through your build thread. Wow, what a great read! Oh, and hi from another WA guy. I can't really offer any insight regarding the t case or an engine swap, but just wanted to comment on how much fun it was to read through your thread.

If this were a poll I would vote for banking money away for a swap. You mentioned somewhere in there you would like more power than the 3.8, I love the long arms, but if you're happy with the mid arm....

Appreciate it! There’s so many directions to go. I’m back to building a long arm in my head again. If I do engine swap at some point I don’t want to waste money on a T Case that may change later. But then my engine only has 70k miles and works well. Who knows? Where is WA are you from?

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Appreciate it! There’s so many directions to go. I’m back to building a long arm in my head again. If I do engine swap at some point I don’t want to waste money on a T Case that may change later. But then my engine only has 70k miles and works well. Who knows? Where is WA are you from?

I'm just a little south of Bellingham. 70k? Your 10 has less miles than my 16!

fiend

Caught the Bug

Since you already ditched your stock gas tank, what about a triangulated four link set up?

Top Bottom