Air bags or air springs for towing with a Jeep Gladiator

WJCO

Meme King
Has anybody put on air bags/springs yet for towing? Curious if anyone has any pros or cons. I've done Firestone brand on many trucks in the past so I may just go with that (if they're available) but wanted to hear others' thoughts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve run AirLift air bags on my JK before and they get the job done. Also, like you, I run Firestone bags on my Duramax and like them a lot. I probably would go with the later if they have something for the JT.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
I have no experience personally but if memory serves I think expedition overland put air bags on their JT.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

I’ve run AirLift air bags on my JK before and they get the job done.

Are you talking about the ones that go inside the coils? I've installed some for customers but never used them myself.

Untitled.jpg

Also, like you, I run Firestone bags on my Duramax and like them a lot. I probably would go with the later if they have something for the JT.

Doesn't look like Firestone or any other company has anything out yet like that. I love those things.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. I'll look into that.

Are you talking about the ones that go inside the coils? I've installed some for customers but never used them myself.

View attachment 346811

Doesn't look like Firestone or any other company has anything out yet like that. I love those things.

Yup, those. They got the job done. I even ran them on my TJ back in the day. Not real good for flexing on the trail but for what you're wanting them for, they'll work .

WJCO

Meme King
Yup, those. They got the job done. I even ran them on my TJ back in the day. Not real good for flexing on the trail but for what you're wanting them for, they'll work .

Perfect. Thanks. Seems to be the only thing out right now.

WJCO

Meme King
I just ordered the air lift ones. I'll test them out with some weight after I get them.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I’ve run AirLift air bags on my JK before and they get the job done. Also, like you, I run Firestone bags on my Duramax and like them a lot. I probably would go with the later if they have something for the JT.

Aren’t traditional bellows bags like the Firestones really travel limited?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Thanks for the link. I'll look it over.

If you go down this route, would you mind doing a JT writeup? Lol. I’m thinking I’m gonna need to do something to keep the rear end from sagging when loaded down for longer trips... especially with so much cargo space in the bed. I was looking into some kind of air bag that I can level the rig once loaded up but can’t really find anything that I know would work for sure, and is something that I can install myself.

WJCO

Meme King
If you go down this route, would you mind doing a JT writeup? Lol. I’m thinking I’m gonna need to do something to keep the rear end from sagging when loaded down for longer trips... especially with so much cargo space in the bed. I was looking into some kind of air bag that I can level the rig once loaded up but can’t really find anything that I know would work for sure, and is something that I can install myself.

Will do. When we recently added on the room to our house, with drywall or wood in the bed, it visibly had some sag as well as the ride felt different. Hopefully these things will solve that.

Andy5160

Hooked
Will do. When we recently added on the room to our house, with drywall or wood in the bed, it visibly had some sag as well as the ride felt different. Hopefully these things will solve that.

Just like the old balls [emoji853]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
What tongue weight you plan on towing ? The spring helper bags work but they're gonna firm up the ride a lot.

Don't know yet but probably a 20 foot boat or so. Air Ride says to leave 5 psi in these all the time so hopefully with no load there won't be a noticeable difference in ride comfort. I'm just hoping to level it out.

Exodus 4x4

Don't know yet but probably a 20 foot boat or so. Air Ride says to leave 5 psi in these all the time so hopefully with no load there won't be a noticeable difference in ride comfort. I'm just hoping to level it out.

I pulled a 6100 pound wakeboard boat behind mine and the EVO springs hardly noticed it. I thought for sure air bags would’ve been necessary. I’d say you’re fine without them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AC5

Any luck with the air bags? I have a JT Rubicon and I'm looking into it myself. Pulling a 5100 pound RV and it squats my backend some.

WJCO

Meme King
Any luck with the air bags? I have a JT Rubicon and I'm looking into it myself. Pulling a 5100 pound RV and it squats my backend some.

Unfortunately haven't installed them yet. I hope to get a boat this fall and will report back.

Top Bottom