Mystery noise.. in the event you are bored

jkwaterdog

2008 jeep jk, ~110k miles.

My jeep has a ticking sound coming from the driver side engine compartment. It is very faint/non existent when not under load only when under load ( ie in gear and driven or when in gear and rev’d while holding the brake). It started with a low volume ticking about 2 weeks back and slowly increased in volume to the current state. Besides the noise the jeep runs great, no dash errors or codes.

I changed the oil and filter ( oil levels are good)as well as the spark plugs and plug wires ( initially though it could have been spark noise from bad wire). I also replaced the driver side exhaust manifold about 2 months back as the original was cracked, (i’m familiar with that issue and related noise) During that process the back manifold bolt broke inside the head. After 2-3hr trying to extract i left it there and installed the manifold with 5 of the 6 bolts. You’re probably going to say thats the issue ( i though so as well) but there is no sign of a exhaust leak. All other exhaust mani bolts are snug.

It doesn’t seem like a lifter issue as it doesn’t happens when i rev ( with no load). But I’m not ruling this out. Could be a crack in newly replace exh mani as well. But there is no sign of it ( other than the ticking noise). Could be the 6th both issue( not ruled out). But i cant see any leak. I also tried a stethoscope at various places on the engine. Cant seem to locate the ticking source.

Hoping someone has some thoughts. I think my next step is to remove the cylinder head, check lifters and extract the broken stud and reinstall. Really hope i don’t need

I have two videos of the noise. Cant figure out how to attach( if allowed) One of a reg engine rev with no load ( no to very lite ticking) and another when under load ( in gear with brake on) you can hear the ticking.

Thanks for the read
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bustedback

Chances are pretty high that you have an exhaust leak. It’s probably coming from around the missing stud even though you can’t see any signs of leakage.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jkwaterdog

Thanks folks. Was hoping for other mysterious cause. Guess i kinda knew it was going to be a manifold exhaust issue. Planning to pull the head and try to get that snapped bolt out.

Bierpower

Hooked
Thanks folks. Was hoping for other mysterious cause. Guess i kinda knew it was going to be a manifold exhaust issue. Planning to pull the head and try to get that snapped bolt out.

We would always weld a flat washer to the broken stud then weld a nut to the washer and back it out. Worked pretty good 99% of the time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkwaterdog

Pulled the cylinder head, got the broken bolt out. Now to put it all back together. Wouldn’t have attempted this without all the info from this forum[emoji106][emoji106]. Thx All. IMG_0797.jpg

Top Bottom