Code reader

Do you guys have a recommendation for a solid code reader for a garage DIYer? Prices are all over the charts so thought i'd ask what you all use and if you'd recommend any particular unit.

Any particular feature we would need for our JK? Any brands to stay away from?

BaddestCross

Do you guys have a recommendation for a solid code reader for a garage DIYer? Prices are all over the charts so thought i'd ask what you all use and if you'd recommend any particular unit.

Any particular feature we would need for our JK? Any brands to stay away from?
I have this one from Harbor Freight. It reads ABS and airbag codes as well as check engine lights.

https://www.harborfreight.com/zr13-obd2-code-reader-with-abssrsfixassist-63806.html

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fiend

Caught the Bug
The cheaper ones don’t read ABS/TCS codes or airbag codes. I’d recommend spending a little more to get that functionality. I have a harbor freight one and it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm looking for more details on engine codes. Recently my 2012 threw a P0349 code. Searched on here and google to see what it meant since my tuner didn't have any description on the code. My current tuner can read and clear codes but the database seems limited after the most recent code.

So that got me thinking about a more robust code reader.

I'd like to have more detail on a code when it comes up in the future. Then decide if its something i can attempt to fix on my own or take it in to the shop.

Appreciate the feedback!

fiend

Caught the Bug
I'm looking for more details on engine codes. Recently my 2012 threw a P0349 code. Searched on here and google to see what it meant since my tuner didn't have any description on the code. My current tuner can read and clear codes but the database seems limited after the most recent code.

So that got me thinking about a more robust code reader.

I'd like to have more detail on a code when it comes up in the future. Then decide if its something i can attempt to fix on my own or take it in to the shop.

Appreciate the feedback!

Camshaft position sensor, according to google.

Camshaft position sensor, according to google.

Correct... i have replaced them both. She seems to be running great atm.

However, when i was searching online, i saw guys showing their code readers with the same code but their code readers also showed which bank. Mine wouldn't even show the description of the code.

So that's the reason for my search for a better tool.

BaddestCross

Correct... i have replaced them both. She seems to be running great atm.

However, when i was searching online, i saw guys showing their code readers with the same code but their code readers also showed which bank. Mine wouldn't even show the description of the code.

So that's the reason for my search for a better tool.
Yeah, look at the link I posted above. Under $200 and it gives quite a bit of info. Also does live data and recording.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I chased the same code in my JKUR for some time. Replaced both sensors, checked the wiring and all grounds to no avail. Dealer replaced the TCM under warranty and I no longer had the code. Go figure.

Top Bottom