JLUR DD / WW on 37s

JL Jon

New guy to off roading and I have researched myself stupid, so I will cut to the chase.

My JLUR is my DD, but I want to be able to wheel it "hard". I currently have a Mopar 2" lift and sit on 35s mounted on AEVs Pintler wheel and want to get to 37s. I recently ordered and received, but not installed RCV axle shafts w/FAD (hope to not regret that decision). What are some other modifications that I really should consider?

Again, I have looked into things to the point I have made myself dumb. If somebody could slap me straight, that would be great! Thank you!

JLUR

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
New guy to off roading and I have researched myself stupid, so I will cut to the chase.

My JLUR is my DD, but I want to be able to wheel it "hard". I currently have a Mopar 2" lift and sit on 35s mounted on AEVs Pintler wheel and want to get to 37s. I recently ordered and received, but not installed RCV axle shafts w/FAD (hope to not regret that decision). What are some other modifications that I really should consider?

Again, I have looked into things to the point I have made myself dumb. If somebody could slap me straight, that would be great! Thank you!

JLUR

Welcome!!
Winch, straps and snatch blocks(2 minimum). Rock sliders. Factory ones are attached to pinch welds. Onboard compressor. I put mine in rear tub. Front skid to protect your sway bar disconnect unit. Diff skids. Steering dampner relocation kit. (it WILL get hit)
Remove rear bumper and get Wayalife Stinger.

I have same lift on JLUR with 37's I wheel hard at least once a month. Factory skids are fine. I wouldn't change them soon or ever until they break or wear out.
Skids I mentioned up top I think are a must. Drain plug is on bottom of front diff. Skid will protect it and protect diff plate from rock hits. FAD skid is good idea too. You can wheel these Rubicons pretty hard as long as you don't drive like an asshole. If you can't crawl up it, maybe stop trying it. You brake shit when you go like hell, especially if front lockers on.

G650Pilot

JLUR

I was going to order RCV shaft for my 2020 JLUR too.. I'm running King Coilovers with an EVO Long arm kit and 37s. I was talked out of the RCVs. I think I'm just gonna save up and get UD60 axles instead (w/ RCVs) When you strengthen one part of your axle it moves the weakness down stream. i/e U joints are cheap and easy to fix, but tearing something else up (ring and pinion, etc..) can get expensive and much harder to fix on the trail. I'm still pretty new to all this myself, so I've relied on friends that have much more experience. I've decided to just truss my stock axle and wait to get 1 ton axles and 40s. This is my daily driver too.

JL Jon

I was going to order RCV shaft for my 2020 JLUR too.. I'm running King Coilovers with an EVO Long arm kit and 37s. I was talked out of the RCVs. I think I'm just gonna save up and get UD60 axles instead (w/ RCVs) When you strengthen one part of your axle it moves the weakness down stream. i/e U joints are cheap and easy to fix, but tearing something else up (ring and pinion, etc..) can get expensive and much harder to fix on the trail. I'm still pretty new to all this myself, so I've relied on friends that have much more experience. I've decided to just truss my stock axle and wait to get 1 ton axles and 40s. This is my daily driver too.
Provided I don't break anything, I can't see me upgrading my front axle for a few years. To many other things to do first and then it would be to a Pro44. If I keep to 37s I can keep the cost manageable. Haha.

JLUR

Jims18roo

Agree with skids for the diffs. Look at that oil pan. U may want one there. Protect your oil pan and diffs. Simple way to not have to tow it home

JL Jon

I have installed the Rancho diff skid plates and a full belly pan by Rock Hard 4x4. Guess my concern when posting was more along the lines of axle, rubbing at full articulation and gearing. In that, what is really required for serious weekend warrior fun.

JLUR

chinamanJL510

Going 37's you can pretty much say goodbye to your 8th gear. You can wheel pretty hard with stock axles on 37's with a skinny pedal. If you can't go over it just winch urself or go around if there is a bypass.

Top Bottom