JK Sport Dana 30 axle

I have a '13 JK Sport and want to go up to 35" tires. I normally run 6-7 rated trails, nothing extreme. I'm on a 'tight budget' and want to know if it's worth regearing the 30 front axle or if I should really put in a 44? I plan to keep the Sport transfer case which will probably limit me on the much harder trails which are not a priority anyway.

Spazbyt

Hooked
I'm in the same boat as you. If you do some research on this forum you will find alot of information about this. In short, the dana 30 is the weak link in the chain and gears will only make it worse. Save your money for a 44. Do some axle C gussets in the meantime for cheap insurance until you get that 44 housing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Given your budget and intended use, I’d just regear what you have to 4.56 or 4.88 and add some C gussets to the front axle. Should be able to get all that done for around $2k.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I did c gussets and and yeah save up for a 44. 35s and stock gearing are doable but very sluggish.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bierpower

Hooked
You sure the V-8 didn't have a little say in what happened there?
I thought about that but their really wasn't any point on that run that I was really pounding the gears with the engine. Most of it was 1st gear, 4 low and not much over an idle.

Aside from that even the new set of gears listed max recommended tire size as 33".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

I have a '13 JK Sport and want to go up to 35" tires. I normally run 6-7 rated trails, nothing extreme. I'm on a 'tight budget' and want to know if it's worth regearing the 30 front axle or if I should really put in a 44? I plan to keep the Sport transfer case which will probably limit me on the much harder trails which are not a priority anyway.

For what it’s worth...

I have a 13 Sport JKU, still with the dirty 30 and regeared to 4.56 on metric 35 Cooper STT Pro’s. I regeared March of last year and have run a handful of harder trails than when on the stock gears. Still open in the front and LSD in the back and have plenty of fun. I have had C gussets since almost new.

I tend to be light on the skinny pedal and lean on my winch if it gets too hairy for my taste, without issue so far. I am trying to save (again) for a 44 up front as the end goal.

The 3.21’s and 35’s were liveable for me for about two years. The change to 4.56 has been great IMO on and off road.

Just my 2¢

zimm

Caught the Bug
For you, I'd go with 4.56 and run it. Don't waste any more money on front locker, sleeves, trusses, etc. Save up for that Pro-rock 44 someday or a rubi take off axle. Knowing you have a weak link up front, be careful on the skinny pedal. Nearly every break I've seen up front is when the driver pegs it, and the front tires start twitching left to right and bounding up and down followed by a round *ping*.

mewaschuk

been running 09 jk sport with d30, 4.56 gears troqu master locker on 33s no gussets or bracing for 2 season. and done a fair amount of 7-9 rated trails without issue. but i don't drive like a trail hero either...
debating doing a rubi tcase swap next, because the woods trails i usually drive 4L/1st is not quite a low enough crawl ratio. :hmm:

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug

I would save my money for a D44 either Prorock to a take off from a 1ton swap. The D30 isn't worth pouring any money into IMHO. Your sport Tcase is fine for plenty of hard core trails, i know spent of folks with sports that we go wheeling with and they have no issues with it. a 4:! tcase is nice but not a must have.

Top Bottom