DIY JT Gladiator Hard Top hoist for $50

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Hello everyone. Posting this up because there are not really any reasonably priced hard top hoist options out there for the JT. The cheapest option is essentially a boat winch and cable for triple the price. The most high end option is 6 times what this cost me. Onto the details.

I bought two kayak hoists from my local Dicks Sporting Goods. I’m sure you can find a similar product on Amazon or at another store. These list for $24.98 each at Dicks. You’ll need two of them. I also had a 10% off coupon from Dicks that I received in the mail. They are rated for 100lbs, so combined it’s good for 200lbs. Plenty enough for a JT or even a JK/JL top. They have a rope brake and also a place to tie of the excess rope when you have something stored on the hoist.

IMG_4663.jpg

I’m not going to go into detail on the install. Just follow the instructions in the box. Before starting you’ll want to pull your Jeep into the garage and mark where you want to hang it from the ceiling. I marked the four corners to figure out where I would attach the pulley mounts. It’s super simple. make sure you use a good stud finder to find the center of your ceiling joists and also, use a 3/16” drill bit and drill some pilot holes.l to prevent splitting your joists.

This is easy enough to do by myself without any assistance. I back my Jeep into the garage, crawl up into the bed, and pull the ropes from there.

Here’s the finished product.

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

If you have high ceilings in your garage like I do, the top hangs high enough that it’s completely above the height of the garage door.

IMG_4664.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Your JT looks sweet with the top off like that!

Great idea on the hoist

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks! I just glad I can now go topless anytime I feel like it without having to find someone to help.

The JT looks sharp with the top off. Certainly something the Gladiator’s competitors can’t do!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thanks! I just glad I can now go topless anytime I feel like it without having to find someone to help.

The JT looks sharp with the top off. Certainly something the Gladiator’s competitors can’t do!

For sure, they have the market cornered on that

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jesse3638

Hooked
I actually have one of those already and was thinking of buying a second one to do this exact thing. Thanks for posting it up. Looks like I know what I'm doing now. Instead of my hard top dolly I made.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I actually have one of those already and was thinking of buying a second one to do this exact thing. Thanks for posting it up. Looks like I know what I'm doing now. Instead of my hard top dolly I made.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I almost built a hard top cart but I couldn’t get over how much space it took. I’d really have to put the top back on every night if I still wanted to park in the garage. I couldn’t park both vehicles inside and keep the top cart inside at the same time.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Had the hardtop on and off again twice since I’ve done this. It’s working great!

Top Bottom