Camping in SoCal

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I’m looking to go camping with a friend of mine Keith small kids. Does anyone know of any family friendly campsites in ti SoCal area that are still pen. Preferably near a body of water. He’s got 4WD but no Jeep so hopefully nothing more than a fire road to get there.

I figure this group is the best source for this. If nothing else perhaps a app or website recommendation that might help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Hilop

Caught the Bug
I’m looking to go camping with a friend of mine Keith small kids. Does anyone know of any family friendly campsites in ti SoCal area that are still pen. Preferably near a body of water. He’s got 4WD but no Jeep so hopefully nothing more than a fire road to get there.

I figure this group is the best source for this. If nothing else perhaps a app or website recommendation that might help.

I’ve been searching for a campsite with the same needs. Most local spots are still closed and some of the lakes/creeks north of Socal don’t want non locals there. With everyone out on the weekends it’s going to be difficult.

MericaMade

Check into Glamis North Hot Springs. Its near the Salton Sea but alot of offroading in the area.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Check into Glamis North Hot Springs. Its near the Salton Sea but alot of offroading in the area.

I was going to say Glamis too... I know last weekend at Big Bear everything was closed (didn't stop me though.. I was willing to take the risk) but your best bet is in the desert in the middle of know where.... I had the impression after talking to a ranger that things were going to start opening up.. but that's before our politicians extended this Bullshit... Call the Discovery Center at Big Bear.

Trail Hound

I don't know if you would consider that "family friendly" but it's my understanding that you can camp at yellow post camp sites. I rolled on some trails two weeks ago and there were a lot of campers all along Clarks Grade on my way out. I plan on checking out Lyttle Creek spots this weekend.

MericaMade

I was going to say Glamis too... I know last weekend at Big Bear everything was closed (didn't stop me though.. I was willing to take the risk) but your best bet is in the desert in the middle of know where.... I had the impression after talking to a ranger that things were going to start opening up.. but that's before our politicians extended this Bullshit... Call the Discovery Center at Big Bear.
Not Glamis.....Glamis North and its completely different than Glamis. It's about 60 miles north of Glamis and just east of Salton Sea.

There's a little town out there called Slab City that you need to check out LOL.

Check it out. If you don't have a trailer you could rent cabins.

https://glamisnorth.com/

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Really you guys it’s been in the 100 degrees out there. Ask me how I know.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Not Glamis.....Glamis North and its completely different than Glamis. It's about 60 miles north of Glamis and just east of Salton Sea.

There's a little town out there called Slab City that you need to check out LOL.

I gotta check that out... thanks

Really you guys it’s been in the 100 degrees out there. Ask me how I know.

Oh right... I forgot what month it was.. Lol.. It's starting to creep up.

rubiDave

I think the Mojave Preserve is open for dispersed camping and all the dirt roads seem to be open except zzyzx road. Most of the Mojave Road is doable in a light 4x4. I like the area around the New York mountains south of I15. Approach from the west via Cedar Canyon Rd then north on NY Mtn Rd & Caruthers canyon Rd. Plenty of primitive campsite all along the way. Some wheeling opportunities if you go far enough north and also further to the east near live keystone canyon. Elevation is around 5000 ft, so weather not too hot this time of year. No water, no bathrooms though.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked

I think this close to where you are talking about. Red Canyon, Amy's Wash and Bradshaw Trail. When we came out off Bradshaw I think we passed right by Glamis North. When you finally get down to 111 your below sea level.
/ATTACH] 20200418_162659.jpg 20200418_162859.jpg 20200418_162929.jpg

Attachments

• 20200418_144129.jpg
    20200418_144129.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

MericaMade

Top Bottom