PSC big bore in my JT

bkac

Caught the Bug
After having a ton of steering issues with my JL I didn’t want to start fighting it b in my JT, well it starting to Sneak up on me with DW so I’m installing the PSC big bore, belt driven pump, cooler, and hydro assist ram. Woke up at a rainy day and said let’s do this!

I will share some best tips for install along the way. First tip, remove the swaybar and disconnect if you have a Rubicon, makes life easier.
Adjustments.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

Out came the OEM junk and in is going a while lot of awesomeness
IMG_1378.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bkac

Caught the Bug
It’s been fun so far. I highly recommend removing the passenger shock and having some long extensions. I had to slightly mod the new pump bracket, for some reason it was hitting a few places on the block. I couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t tighten. I got pretty good at taking it in and out several times. It’s an extremely tight fit b the the directions are for a JL and not a JT with the new bracket. Taking your time and paying attention really helps. I all removed the washer fluid bottle and engine computer. Really helped to open things up.

You have to Jack up the passenger side of engine about 3”
IMG_1390.jpg

Area to look out for
Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

I also had to trim the motor mount
Adjustments.jpg

Mount trimmed for clearance
IMG_1410.jpg

Routing the hoses
IMG_1420.jpg

JKbrick

I’m surprised honestly that you have to modify the bracket and motor mount for it to fit. You would think a JL and a JT would be the same up there

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s such a pain in the ass compared to the JK’s system. Glad you were able to work thru it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Wow that install looks like a pain... well outta my league. lol. Glad you got it worked out.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I’m surprised honestly that you have to modify the bracket and motor mount for it to fit. You would think a JL and a JT would be the same up there

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It’s actually a completely different design due to the updated hydraulic motor mounts on the JT vs the JL. I email PSC pictures to see if possibly my block is maybe a newer design or something one off.

bkac

Caught the Bug
That’s such a pain in the ass compared to the JK’s system. Glad you were able to work thru it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yes it’s much more detailed. The JL doesn’t require the new motor mount bracket like the JT.

bkac

Caught the Bug
After getting a bad big bore box I finally got the install completed and wow what a difference it made. The steering is back to tight and no wonder. High recommend this upgrade. I ran it a week without the ram and it was great. I added the ram for the rocks and noticed no difference on pavement handling performance. So glad to be back to a belt driven pump. I temporarily have the ram mounted and I’m going to weld new tabs and level out the ram while reinforcing the mounting plate also.

IMG_1566.jpg

61267031269__27D9C957-70D9-42C3-8653-BE265A0EFC80.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
After getting a bad big bore box I finally got the install completed and wow what a difference it made. The steering is back to tight and no wonder. High recommend this upgrade. I ran it a week without the ram and it was great. I added the ram for the rocks and noticed no difference on pavement handling performance. So glad to be back to a belt driven pump. I temporarily have the ram mounted and I’m going to weld new tabs and level out the ram while reinforcing the mounting plate also.

If things were to have gone perfectly smoothly, how long would you say you spent installing this?

bkac

Caught the Bug
If things were to have gone perfectly smoothly, how long would you say you spent installing this?

Well considering a had to do basically the entire install twice I got pretty good at it. If someone is decent at wrenching and has a variety of tools it can be done in 6-8 hrs. It’s definitely a lot more involved then the old JK setup. The steering box is actually really easy to get in and out through the side fender once the computer and washer fluid box is removed. The motor mount bracket isn’t too bad either, I had to do it 6 times due to getting the incorrectly machined bracket. The key is taking your time with all the hoses. Just don’t be in a rush and allow yourself a few days to stay sane. Things get pretty tight in spots and there’s a lot of aluminum so proper torque and blue locktite is important. I really enjoyed the install it’s how I unwind in the evenings. Last tip is to start filling the secondary reservoir first in advance and let it fill the primary one, then use a drill with the belt off on the end of the pump pulley with a 3/8” Allen socket and spin the pump in a forward direction to pump and the air out of the system while slowly adding fluid. This works amazing and completely gets all the air out and zero fluid mess. It takes time to fill the system because the main reservoir sits sideways and the air has to be pushed out through the secondary reservoir. Someone shared this tip with me and it saved me so much headache. Hope that helps you out.

Top Bottom