Harbor Freight Pittsburg Steel 3&6 ton jack stand recall

Jkratt

Just checked mine, yep on the recall. Guess I got lucky they didn’t collapse on me while changing bump stops.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

jesse3638

Hooked
Looks like I need to check mine. They are the orange and white ones and are about 8 years old so I'm assuming they are fine. I also shake the shot ouf of the jeep before pulling the tires to make sure they're seated well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

rubiDave

Thanks. I had 2 pair of the 6 tons that were in the recall. Just returned them to HF. They gave me a gift card for $25/pair. Then bought 2 new pair. Regular price on the new ones was $50/pair, but after I bitched a little they price matched them to $25/pair.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Yea, it scared the Living Shit out of me. Luckily my older son was in the garage with me and was able to jack the vehicle up off of me. I was on the rear driver side of the jeep, I had the tire off and the jack just exploded and collapsed.

It was also the first time I ever broke a rib and it sucked. Man it hurt so bad to breathe, or sleep. I tend to lay on that side to sleep. I tried laying on my back by while I was asleep, I would rollover in my sleep and immediately wake up the minute I rolled over in pain. I ended up sleeping in my recliner for like 3 weeks before I could tolerate sleeping in a bed.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug

I posted before I had a chance to check mine. My 6 ton stands are effected.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Used to sell these, those part numbers are almost ALL of the silver / black painted ones about 6 years ago to current. If you have a set and they arent Orange / White. They're included in the recall. That being said in the too many years I was there I only had 1 set returned faulty because the pin wasn't set correctly allowing the finger to move and drop, no injuries. Also, they come from the same factories as other brands so keep an eye out if you have non-pittsburgh that look similar. I'm gonna keep using mine until they have replacements, they've proven themselves enough for my peace of mind.

Mine did collapse and ended up breaking two of my ribs about 6 months ago. I threw them in the garbage.

Thats some scary shit, did you report it or deal with their legal team?

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I stand corrected. I assumed based on the color that mine were effected. I bought mine in December and they are 62393 6ton, not a part number in the recall.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I’ve used HF 3 and 6 ton stands for years without issue. I checked the numbers on mine and they’re not within the affected production lots. Before I crawl under my Jeep on stands, I give it a pretty vigorous shake to be sure things are secure. I do live in earthquake country.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

highoctane

Caught the Bug

I’ve used HF 3 and 6 ton stands for years without issue. I checked the numbers on mine and they’re not within the affected production lots. Before I crawl under my Jeep on stands, I give it a pretty vigorous shake to be sure things are secure. I do live in earthquake country.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

As do I. If I’m under the Jeep I lower it onto the jack stands, give it a shake, and raise the jack back up to the vehicle That way it’ll hopefully take the weight if the jack stand fails. I’d really like a lift in my garage and get rid of the jack stands.

Top Bottom