Hello from Reno/Tahoe area! (Former) Project-JK member since 2007

moun10eer

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, but I've been a Jeep guy ever since I got my first Jeep ('87 Cherokee) back in 1992. My previous Jeep was 2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited which I bought as brand new back when it first came out. I was one of the first members of Project-JK forum (with the same username): I was pretty active in that forum back then (around 2007~2010.) So, some of you might remember/recognize me. :)

I loved my JK; it was very reliable and took me, my wife and dog to many Jeep trails. We'd driven it for about 12 years (190,00 miles+.) Unfortunately, I totaled it last year (February, 2019.) The car in front of us suddenly skidded driving through snow/ice on I-80 near Truckee, CA and span off towards us. I avoided hitting the car, but I swerved to the side, driving over/hitting a snowbank and flipped the Jeep... sort of like the recent IIHS JL crash test but with about 50~55 mph (I guess it's still a Jeep thing... Haha!) As the results, I broke 5 ribs and punctured a lung. Though it was really painful, I was able to fully recover (be able to run trails, climbing) in 4 months or so. Luckily, my wife was all fine except some bruises from the seatbelt as the driver side hit the ground. Luckily, our dog wasn't in the Jeep.

We were going to buy a new JL or JT right after the accident, but since recovering from the accident, I've been traveling/guiding expeditions overseas climbing mountains including Kilimanjaro -- the highest peak in African continent -- in Tanzania and Aconcagua -- the highest peak outside of Himalaya/Karakoram ranges -- in the Andes on the border of Argentina and Chile. I just came back to the stateside in February, right before the globalwide lockdown from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Anyway, now that I'll be home here in Reno/Tahoe area for a while, I'm ready to get a new Jeep! I was originally interested in getting a JT Rubicon, but now I'm thinking of getting a JL Rubicon (2-door) since I'm also planning on getting a Challenger Hellcat Redeye. Actually, I'm originally from Tokyo, Japan (born and raised), but I love American cars... Jeeps and muscle cars in particular. Sure Japanese cars may be more reliable, but they are so boring! Haha!

My wife and I moved from Seattle to Reno about a year and half ago as it was getting too crowded there. We haven't been able to check out many Jeep trails around here as we lost our JK soon after moving here. So, hopefully we'll be able to join some of you to hit some trails after getting our Jeep.

P.S. If you know any good Jeep/Dodge dealers around Reno, NV, please let me know!

Attachments

• 920383_10200930500282370_693642715_o.jpg
    920383_10200930500282370_693642715_o.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 1017330_10201430192134354_1799616281_n.jpg
    1017330_10201430192134354_1799616281_n.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Hello everyone!

I'm new here, but I've been a Jeep guy ever since I got my first Jeep ('87 Cherokee) back in 1992. My previous Jeep was 2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited which I bought as brand new back when it first came out. I was one of the first members of Project-JK forum (with the same username): I was pretty active in that forum back then (around 2007~2010.) So, some of you might remember/recognize me. :)

I loved my JK; it was very reliable and took me, my wife and dog to many Jeep trails. We'd driven it for about 12 years (190,00 miles+.) Unfortunately, I totaled it last year (February, 2019.) The car in front of us suddenly skidded driving through snow/ice on I-80 near Truckee, CA and span off towards us. I avoided hitting the car, but I swerved to the side, driving over/hitting a snowbank and flipped the Jeep... sort of like the recent IIHS JL crash test but with about 50~55 mph (I guess it's still a Jeep thing... Haha!) As the results, I broke 5 ribs and punctured a lung. Though it was really painful, I was able to fully recover (be able to run trails, climbing) in 4 months or so. Luckily, my wife was all fine except some bruises from the seatbelt as the driver side hit the ground. Luckily, our dog wasn't in the Jeep.

We were going to buy a new JL or JT right after the accident, but since recovering from the accident, I've been traveling/guiding expeditions overseas climbing mountains including Kilimanjaro -- the highest peak in African continent -- in Tanzania and Aconcagua -- the highest peak outside of Himalaya/Karakoram ranges -- in the Andes on the border of Argentina and Chile. I just came back to the stateside in February, right before the globalwide lockdown from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Anyway, now that I'll be home here in Reno/Tahoe area for a while, I'm ready to get a new Jeep! I was originally interested in getting a JT Rubicon, but now I'm thinking of getting a JL Rubicon (2-door) since I'm also planning on getting a Challenger Hellcat Redeye. Actually, I'm originally from Tokyo, Japan (born and raised), but I love American cars... Jeeps and muscle cars in particular. Sure Japanese cars may be more reliable, but they are so boring! Haha!

My wife and I moved from Seattle to Reno about a year and half ago as it was getting too crowded there. We haven't been able to check out many Jeep trails around here as we lost our JK soon after moving here. So, hopefully we'll be able to join some of you to hit some trails after getting our Jeep.

P.S. If you know any good Jeep/Dodge dealers around Reno, NV, please let me know!

Welcome to Wayalife.

We've also got a hiking/mountaineering thread here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/26600-Hiking-Day-Thru-Section-Ultralight-to-Traditional

Would love to see some of your pictures.

benatc1

Hooked
Welcome from Reno as well, I've always had good luck at lithia here in Reno, but some of the other guys haven't had alot of great things to say, a buddy of mine just bought a gladiator through Dolan out in Fernley and had good things to say. As far as Dodge, I use the Dolan Dodge dealer here and have been happy under their new owner ship. I could be wrong, but I believe Eddie has had good things to say about Jeep in Carson City, but not sure if anything has changed.

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

moun10eer

Thank you guys! Hope all is staying safe and enjoying social distancing in the wilderness! :)

Welcome from Reno as well, I've always had good luck at lithia here in Reno, but some of the other guys haven't had alot of great things to say, a buddy of mine just bought a gladiator through Dolan out in Fernley and had good things to say. As far as Dodge, I use the Dolan Dodge dealer here and have been happy under their new owner ship. I could be wrong, but I believe Eddie has had good things to say about Jeep in Carson City, but not sure if anything has changed.

Thanks for the info, benatc1! Yes, Eddie told me Carson Jeep/Dodge is pretty good. I'll check out the ones in Carson City and Fernley as they both offer Jeep and Dodge vehicles.

benatc1

Hooked
Thank you guys! Hope all is staying safe and enjoying social distancing in the wilderness! :)

Thanks for the info, benatc1! Yes, Eddie told me Carson Jeep/Dodge is pretty good. I'll check out the ones in Carson City and Fernley as they both offer Jeep and Dodge vehicles.
Excellent, looking fwd to seeing what you get and seeing you out on the trail!

Top Bottom