Door Hinge caps

vasquez27

Recently I put in some new door hinge inserts and knocked out the old rusted metal ones. Works great for easily putting on/taking off doors. However now my door hinge nuts won’t screw in all the way leaving a gap. I’m ok with leaving the nuts out for the summer time, but the winter driving in Colorado usually gets a lot of crap kicked up. Anyone encounter this problem or have a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bierpower

Hooked
sounds like the flange on the new ones may be a little thinner letting the door sit down a little. Easy solution would be to grind the nut down slightly so it tightens further. It is important to note that the nut should not be tight to the bottom of the hinge. That would cause it to bind. How much of a gap are you seeing?

vasquez27

sounds like the flange on the new ones may be a little thinner letting the door sit down a little. Easy solution would be to grind the nut down slightly so it tightens further. It is important to note that the nut should not be tight to the bottom of the hinge. That would cause it to bind. How much of a gap are you seeing?

I think maybe 2mm. I was contemplating shaving the inserts down a little bit I’m wondering if maybe I can get the shop down the road to grind the nut down a little

vasquez27

IMG_1755.jpg

I ended up buying some rubber washers from ace hardware. Seem to fit just fine. I think they’ll wear from the door rotating eventually but a super cheap fix for that gap

I’ve never understood the purpose of the caps. To keep out debris? I recently put mine on the shelf because I was sick of taking them on and off. Can anyone convince me of a use for them?

EDIT: I guess OP already cited debris. Fair enough...

jesse3638

Hooked
Why not just leave them out? I took mine off 8 years ago the first time I took the doors off and they've been in the little holder in the rear of my jeep ever since.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I’ve never understood the purpose of the caps. To keep out debris? I recently put mine on the shelf because I was sick of taking them on and off. Can anyone convince me of a use for them?

EDIT: I guess OP already cited debris. Fair enough...

Why not just leave them out? I took mine off 8 years ago the first time I took the doors off and they've been in the little holder in the rear of my jeep ever since.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

We left them out of the jk. Even in Colorado, no issues. On the JT I've left them off and on the jl, we'll leave them off. The only time I put them back on is when running tube doors since the doors don't lock.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Never reinstalled mine since the summer of 2016. I tell myself in the fall I need to put them back on but don’t remember until it’s-10 outside and blowing sideways snow. Lol

Top Bottom