Stuck Steering

TorXd Out

Hi Whats up everyone? Hope you and yours are all good and well during this plandemic. I have some serious issue with my 2008 Jk Rubicon 2-door and really need some advice or help if you could. I have upgraded the entire front steering of my Jeep and can not get this thing to stay the course no matter what i do. I have brand new 4.5" metal cloak dual rate coils, teraflex ball joints, metal cloak tie-rod, metal cloak drag link, new Fox shocks, new extended brake lines and new sway links, newish 35" tires with plenty of even wear and correct air pressure. I have a new power steering pump and i am currently on my second remanufactured power steering pump from Autozone and this is where i believe the problem is still happening. Everything was great after i installed my new lift and then i noticed some power steering fluid leaking from the sector shaft so i replaced the steering gear box.Now i have replaced it again in 3 weeks because i thought it was a bad steering box except my Jeep still will not drive right. I swear i have had a lot of issues but his one is killing me. This Jeep just gets stuck in whatever direction it wants. I am all over the freakin road it's crazy. And then some bumps are fine but then all the sudden a certain bump will throw me all over and i can turn my wheel almost all the way back the opposite way before anything even starts to happen,while kind of babying it because if i over steer I will have to turn back against the way i am trying to turn in the first place. I probably should not even be driving my Jeep at this point. So really I only have a 1 major question.
Do i just go get a PSC Big Bore and hope this fixes this steering issue forever? What do yo think the problem is? I am convinced i still have a bad steering gear box but if i shell out 1k for a freakin steering gear box i would really like to know this will be my permanent fix for this current problem. Any help is more than appreciated. I can not even explain how frustrated i am now. I should be packing for camping but i am not taking this down the freeway at this point. Please help and have a kick ass Memorial Day

BaddestCross

How many miles on the ball joints? New ones tend to be sticky and takes about 500 miles to break in. Also, TerrorFlex, but the damage is done already.

Did you check the torque of everything steering related?

If I'm reading correctly, it's not flighty steering but stuck steering. However, how is the geometry of your steering links? Are the drag link and track bar parallel?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter

Hooked
How many miles on the ball joints? New ones tend to be sticky and takes about 500 miles to break in. Also, TerrorFlex, but the damage is done already.

Did you check the torque of everything steering related?

If I'm reading correctly, it's not flighty steering but stuck steering. However, how is the geometry of your steering links? Are the drag link and track bar parallel?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

When I installed the Dynatrac Prosteers it was a little tight.... so I removed the stabilizer until they loosened up a bit. It helped.

TorXd Out

I now have about 500 miles on these ball joints. that was was i was thinking also but when it is jacked up it seems fine. Not saying it is when all the weight is on them . Drag link and track bar are nearly identical angles. Looks really goo just will not drive right. thank you

TheGrendel

I now have about 500 miles on these ball joints. that was was i was thinking also but when it is jacked up it seems fine. Not saying it is when all the weight is on them . Drag link and track bar are nearly identical angles. Looks really goo just will not drive right. thank you

What's your castor? I bet you don't have enough. 4.5 inch is a lot of lift.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hi Whats up everyone? Hope you and yours are all good and well during this plandemic. I have some serious issue with my 2008 Jk Rubicon 2-door and really need some advice or help if you could. I have upgraded the entire front steering of my Jeep and can not get this thing to stay the course no matter what i do. I have brand new 4.5" metal cloak dual rate coils, teraflex ball joints, metal cloak tie-rod, metal cloak drag link, new Fox shocks, new extended brake lines and new sway links, newish 35" tires with plenty of even wear and correct air pressure. I have a new power steering pump and i am currently on my second remanufactured power steering pump from Autozone and this is where i believe the problem is still happening. Everything was great after i installed my new lift and then i noticed some power steering fluid leaking from the sector shaft so i replaced the steering gear box.Now i have replaced it again in 3 weeks because i thought it was a bad steering box except my Jeep still will not drive right. I swear i have had a lot of issues but his one is killing me. This Jeep just gets stuck in whatever direction it wants. I am all over the freakin road it's crazy. And then some bumps are fine but then all the sudden a certain bump will throw me all over and i can turn my wheel almost all the way back the opposite way before anything even starts to happen,while kind of babying it because if i over steer I will have to turn back against the way i am trying to turn in the first place. I probably should not even be driving my Jeep at this point. So really I only have a 1 major question.
Do i just go get a PSC Big Bore and hope this fixes this steering issue forever? What do yo think the problem is? I am convinced i still have a bad steering gear box but if i shell out 1k for a freakin steering gear box i would really like to know this will be my permanent fix for this current problem. Any help is more than appreciated. I can not even explain how frustrated i am now. I should be packing for camping but i am not taking this down the freeway at this point. Please help and have a kick ass Memorial Day

No on the PSC big bore until you get the issue fixed.

4.5" is a lot of lift for a 2dr; as mentioned, check caster.

Are you using a drag link flip with that much lift? with that much lift, bumps will cause bump steer which will make it feel like the steering is stuck in the direction it's going - it will also put a lot of stress on the sector shaft.

jesse3638

Hooked
What brand of ball joints did you go with? I used Synergy and mine felt tight and stuck (would not self center from a 90° turn) it took well beyond the 500 miles for them to loosen up. Probably close to 2000. I just recently was having this issue again so I greased them and that corrected it.
Ouch, yeah, I didn't catch the 4.5" part. Are a drag link flip and raised track bar bracket part of the lift?

Do you have pics of the suspension and steering you can post up?

--
Yeah i was thinking the same and pics would help.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom