VIDEO : QUAKE QUEST - An Exploration of Earthquake Faults in Nevada

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On May 15, 2020, Cindy and I were shaken awake at the crack of dawn by a massive 6.5 earthquake that hit near the town of Tonopah, Nevada. Of course, having been born and raised in Southern California and having spent the better part our adult lives there, feeling the ground shake beneath our feet really wasn't anything new to us. What was new, was feeling it here in Nevada! Granted, this is the third most seismically active state in the union with only California and Alaska being ahead of it and so, it really shouldn't have been much of a surprise - you never hear much about it. But then, outside of Las Vegas, there really aren't a whole lot of people living in the state to give it much thought.

This is the 3rd episode in our #ESSENTIALTRAVEL series and in it, you'll get to see us visit the 1954 Fairview Earthquake Fault before setting off on a quest to find the epicenter of the more recent 6.5 temblor that we got to experience last week. And, being that it occurred just off of US Highway 95, you can be sure it was in fact, another PPE along the N95. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20200527132845-7fbee0f6-me.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Your timing in impeccable!! How cool is that, that you were able to be filming right when the aftershock hit!

That shot as you reached the epicenter at sunset was spectacular.

Awesome video as always!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your timing in impeccable!! How cool is that, that you were able to be filming right when the aftershock hit!

That shot as you reached the epicenter at sunset was spectacular.

Awesome video as always!

Thank you. We really got lucky with the timing of the sunset. Maybe one of our all time favorite shots especially being that we couldn't have planned for it.

As far as that aftershock goes - the timing of that was super lucky as well. :crazyeyes:

Cool video, funny to see Ripley out there having a great time also!

LOL Glad you could appreciate it. Get her used to water and it's the first thing she wants to get into - no matter where it is! Getting her cleaned up took a lot of work. :icon_crazy:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thank you. We really got lucky with the timing of the sunset. Maybe one of our all time favorite shots especially being that we couldn't have planned for it.:

I loved how the sunset set off against the headlights with the dust blurring it together, again awesome job[emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Loved it ! Bringing us to places most can’t or won’t be able to go too.[emoji16]. The live earthquake was really cool. Maybe the force is with you[emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Thank you so much for sharing your excursion. Seismology and geology are some of my favorite things. Its funny how growing up in Southern California, like yourselves, makes you pretty jaded about earthquakes. We take them for granted, but others freak out when one happens. Probably similar to me if I was in tornado alley...haha. Ripley goes from kiddie pool to full mud puddle, just another reason I hate mud. Can't wait for the next installment.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So you guys are Quake Chasers now... perfect timing on that aftershock! Cool Video. This was a killer shot:

View attachment 347978

LOL - got super lucky with the aftershock and the last shot at sunset. :cool:

Great video. That is exactly the type of town I like. :yup:

You and me both my friend. :thumb:

Loved it ! Bringing us to places most can’t or won’t be able to go too.[emoji16]. The live earthquake was really cool. Maybe the force is with you[emoji848]

LOL - need to get you and Michelle out there with us again. :yup:

Thank you so much for sharing your excursion. Seismology and geology are some of my favorite things. Its funny how growing up in Southern California, like yourselves, makes you pretty jaded about earthquakes. We take them for granted, but others freak out when one happens. Probably similar to me if I was in tornado alley...haha. Ripley goes from kiddie pool to full mud puddle, just another reason I hate mud. Can't wait for the next installment.

I'm totally with you on that! I'd rather ride out an occasional earthquake any day of the week than to deal with a season of tornadoes ever year! :shock:

benatc1

Hooked
That was cool, such an epic shot to end the day. Loved watching Ripley bite and chase the ripples of the water. Reminded me of Sulley when he was a pup. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Nice video and trip documentation. I like the beginning editing with the remote control too.

jdofmemi

Great video, and what luck getting the aftershock live.

I remember working in the California desert, Trona to be specific, when an earthquake hit near Big Bear. A co worker and I were standing, leaning on a dump truck, when it started to bounce. The truck bounced harder and harder, until the tires were coming off the ground. It may have only been a few inches, but we both looked, and questioned each other, sure that no one would believe it when we told them the tires were bouncing off the ground.

The shaking we felt kept going for nearly a whole minute, but it seemed like forever.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Nevada is spectacular, especially with that sunset [emoji108] awesome video, getting the aftershock was perfect timing lol

pop2tu

Great video. Can’t believe you were filming during an aftershock. Great timing. Ridley is such a water dog!

JAGS

Hooked
Great video. Makes me miss getting out and exploring. Been longer than I’d like to admit.

HILLZ

Yet another great vid from you and Cindy and i’m lovin the Ripley snippets you have been adding to the end of the recent ones, such a gorgeous pup!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jeeeep

Hooked
aftershock! that was way cool :thumb:

i am jonesing to get away from asphalt and everything around me lol

didn't take long for Ripley to get use to the water; chasing those puddle ripples :cheesy:

Gotta say these videos are just the amount of right for all the shit going on around us, thank you! :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was cool, such an epic shot to end the day. Loved watching Ripley bite and chase the ripples of the water. Reminded me of Sulley when he was a pup. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you liked what you saw. Got super lucky with the end of the day shot for sure. :cool:

Nice video and trip documentation. I like the beginning editing with the remote control too.

Thanks! We had fun editing all that :)

Great video, and what luck getting the aftershock live.

I remember working in the California desert, Trona to be specific, when an earthquake hit near Big Bear. A co worker and I were standing, leaning on a dump truck, when it started to bounce. The truck bounced harder and harder, until the tires were coming off the ground. It may have only been a few inches, but we both looked, and questioned each other, sure that no one would believe it when we told them the tires were bouncing off the ground.

The shaking we felt kept going for nearly a whole minute, but it seemed like forever.

Awesome. Earthquakes like that are always fun especially when there's nothing that can fall on you LOL

Nevada is spectacular, especially with that sunset [emoji108] awesome video, getting the aftershock was perfect timing lol

Thank you and yes, we got lucky with that :)

Top Bottom