Major problems with EVO flip kit in Moab!! Need some help!!

BTkillerr

I just had EVO install their drag link flip kit 2 weeks ago. Some creaks and groans disappeared immediately.
3 days ago the traction control came on while getting on the freeway but disengaged after about 10 seconds. I had been noticing some play in the steering wheel as well.
On the drive out to Moab my JK is very flighty on the highway and the traction control comes on frequently, mostly when turning right. The light came on 3 times and stayed lit(fault?) but without the traction control. Reset it both times by turning off the road and turning the jeep off for a minute.
Now it's on constantly and won't reset!
I'm about to go out and flex it a bit and see if I can get it to settle in. But the drive out was a bit scary and very frustrating!
I'm in Moab if anyone from EVO out here and can take a look please call me. I really need some help.
310-291-4623
Bob

BTKillerr

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Have you checked the torque on the bolts? Is the steering wheel centered?

This might have nothing to do with the flip kit btw. If it was going to have issues it would just appear after two weeks.

DanMojo82

did you check to make sure everything was tight? Maybe something came loose causing it. Also if your steering wheel isnt centered your traction control will come on constantly as it thinks your turning while trying to go straight.

Paws

Check the pitman arm , drag link to the steering knuckle. Make sure all is tight like the others said.

BTkillerr

My steering could use a slight tweak and I'll go over all the fasteners again tomorrow. But the steering has a LOT of play and the jeep tends to wander a lot. My steering was firm before this, very responsive.
BTW, I'm at canyon lands campground with the black 4 door, Project JK stickered up lol.
And thx for the help guys!

Bob

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Did you have anything else besides the EVO flip kit installed/worked on? Check your castor and also make sure your trackbar and drag link are parallel.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd start by making sure your steering is centered and check that the turnbuckle is not loose.

Lucky you to be in Moab already! I won't get there until Wednesday. :thumb:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Try this

Check the nut that secures the drag link at the passenger side knuckle (circled in red in the pic below). I run the same drag link and it has come loose before causing the exact symptoms you are describing. Have someone get in jeep with key in ignition and turn the steering back and forth while you look at the steering linkage under jeep. When I did this, I could see the play at the knuckle and tightened the nut. Tightening the nut fixed the issue. You may have to swap the nut out with a self locking one (stover nut). Mine kept coming loose until I did. good luck

DSC03389.jpg

Last edited:

Mgimelli

I have a similar problem with my flip kit. Really minor wandering? I keep checking that but thinking that is we're the problem is but it seams tight and I put some paint on it to make sure it wasn't moving. I am going to check alignment and toe again and rotate tires

MTG

Caught the Bug
Probably not the case, but is it windy there? Last year on the way to Moab the jeep was all over the place and my light was on, but it was because of the crosswind and the struggle to keep it on the road. :yikes:

BTkillerr

Nmwranglerx...you nailed it! Dave from colorado(badass lime green Jk on Heartland:jk experience) called and stopped by to help me.
Tip to everybody...no matter who does your work, and EVO has always done great work for me, double check all your fasteners!

Thanks everybody for your input,
Bob

silverbackjk

Nmwranglerx...you nailed it! Dave from colorado(badass lime green Jk on Heartland:jk experience) called and stopped by to help me.
Tip to everybody...no matter who does your work, and EVO has always done great work for me, double check all your fasteners!

Bob

Glad you got it taken care of!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Glad you got it fixed. That Dave guy is a pretty nice fellow. ;)

Torque down and mark your bolts with paint people!

Note to self: redo the same. :cheesy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

:cheesy: I have to do this still. Although even after the desert trip everything was still torqued down all the way. 1500 miles on the new lift and going strong.:thumb:

silverbackjk

This is one of the best free mods I have done! The only thing that has come loose is my front track bar frame side.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

Bob

glad to hear :clap2: Have fun in Moab for me. I can't make it out there until May

Top Bottom