Failed Fox Shock

dixondave

Last Friday a group of three rigs were on the Rubicon Trail. One of our guys has a JKU Rubicon with a mild lift and 35" tires. We had been on the trail for about 40 minutes or so, passed Gatekeeper and were entering the Granite Bowl when the JKU driver heard a clanking and stopped. What he found was that the front passenger side shock shaft had pulled out of the lower mount. These are "standard" Fox shocks with about 25,000 miles on them. What makes this interesting is this is not the first time that has happened to him, last summer the same thing happened to the driver side front shock. I just installed the Mopar 2.5" lift on my JK 2 door which came with Fox Shocks so I am more than a little concerned and want to know if this problem is a common occurrence and is there any known fix.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I think what might be the problem is the eyelet is made of aluminum and the shock shaft is steel, could be a problem.

Wtf? Are you saying the failure was the shock mount? The bushing? The shaft? The sleeve? Sorry but I’m a bit confused. Take a pic of yours, and circle exactly where the failure was. If you’re really that concerned about it, swap out the shocks to something that’s relatively inexpensive such as Rancho and sell the ones you have to offset the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
I think what might be the problem is the eyelet is made of aluminum and the shock shaft is steel, could be a problem.

Ummm, no. King and Fox both use aluminum ends and Steel shafts. So does pretty much every high end shock and coilover out there. Sometimes shit just breaks. There are enough Fox shocks being used and abused out there that if there was a problem it'd be all over the place.

Again, without pics we're all just guessing here.

Bear_JT

Hooked

That’s not an issue. Fox has a really good reputation for quality and dependability. Sure shit happens but aluminum shock body and steel shafts wouldn’t be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

zimm

Caught the Bug
I thought we were discussing the shock shaft pulling out of the lower mount. But yes the uppers are aluminum.

Ddays

Hooked
I thought we were discussing the shock shaft pulling out of the lower mount. But yes the uppers are aluminum.

Without pics we're both guessing are't we?

And both of these fox ends are aluminum I'm pretty sure

httpwww.polyperformance.comimages104639_main-1.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
The steel shock shaft pulled out of the circled part.

There are a lot of guys that run or have run that shock - myself included. That's the first I've ever heard of that happening. I would find it hard to believe that this is a widespread issue.

jesse3638

Hooked
Maybe the shock it to short for the application and putting to much pulling pressure on it.
Most shocks are the limiting factor in down travel so I don't think that would be an issue. Limitimg straps are typically used when shock travel it too much causing driveline bind or coils to unseat and fall out. Maybe a bad casting or something. As mentioned I feel this is more of an isolated incident. OP should tell his buddy to call Fox.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom